Anybody run tire chains ?

Discussion in 'Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]' started by Snowsled, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Hockster

Hockster My 45ft Bluewater Party Supporting Member

I read it is route specific so.
    Route specific
    Chains are most often required in the higher mountain passes of northern California, such as: Interstate 5 north of Redding;
    Interstate 80 over Donner Pass between Sacramento and Reno, NV; and
    U.S. Highway 50 over Echo Summit between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento.
    Chains are also sometimes required on:
    State Route 58 near Tehachapi between Bakersfield and Mojave;
    Interstate 15 over Cajon Pass between Victorville and San Bernardino; and Interstate 5 over Tejon Pass between Los Angeles and Bakersfield

2. 2014RubyRed

2014RubyRed FRF Addict

The Raptor will go through some pretty snow with good tires (KO's, KO2's, etc.). I was never asked to use chains on I80. At Snoball was rarely in 4wd, and some of that snow was pretty deep.

There are several other threads around here discussing tire chains on Raptors.......

3. Black_Valkyrie

Black_Valkyrie Full Access Member

Actually the signs usually read chains or 4wd equipped with snow tires (snowflake symbol) or something to that effect.... rarely "chains" only

4. Snowsled

Snowsled Full Access Member

I wasn't really talking about "required by law" which is pretty rare for passenger vehicles. California has some of the tightest laws but I don't go there...

Colorado laws now include passenger cars/trucks/suvs but awd/4wd and snow tires including the snowflake on the mtn designation are all approved for road use. I have a 4wd truck running KO2s and my wife has Blizzaks on an awd VW Golf R, so I am covered for any road/conditions in this state.

I need to access a forest service road above 9000 ft of elevation in the winter. I think the only legal provision is, if you can get there, it is open.

We shall see how the Raptor does...

5. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

I live on I-80 and work for the county sheriff. Deputies run either AWD or 4x4 vehicles and are NOT equipped with chains.

6. 14 BlackScrew RR

14 BlackScrew RR Full Access Member

Snowsled, the purpose of chains are to maintain traction on Snow and packed snow ( I'm sure you're aware of that )
    From the point of storing, installing, uninstalling and traction on Snow and packed Snow, the snow sock will outperform a set of chains.
    Where the chain will shine , is mud, blacktop for a limited distance, and then back to snow .
    However! When a chain comes apart while going down the road, it tears the crap out of everything it comes in contact with. Also, the sock doesn't require any additional clearance.
    I merely mention about the various states approval to say that the sock has been proven to be worthwhile.
    BTW. You can always tell when the road condition has gone shitty!
    That's when you start to see all the 4x4, AWD and the lifted vehicles going off in the ditch.

7. downforce137

downforce137 Full Access Member

like i said... if you change the wheel backspace, either with a spacer, or an aftermarket wheel, there will be plenty of clearance for whatever type of chains you want to run..

stick some methods on there and go..

8. Snowsled

Snowsled Full Access Member

I think a 1" spacer should work. I am not running new wheels and tires unless you are offering to buy...

---------- Post added at 05:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 AM ----------

If you buy me a set of snow socks, I will show you how they get ruined in one trip. This aint Chicago, this is a mountain road with very little maintenance. I KNOW I need chains based on my 35 years of driving in the winter.

You use the sock over a non winter tire, not over a good winter tire like my fresh KO2s, that would be pointless. I bet the bare KO2 outperforms the sock in snow.

Ditches here are to be avoided as some are 500+ feet to the bottom. We do not have anything but 4wd and awd vehicles, regular cars do not cut it in the winter here.

9. wjn

wjn FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

10. SVO 85

SVO 85 Full Access Member

I’ve got method wheels but I put chains on last year. We had some freezing rain that put a nice layer of ice down and chains were required on every vehicle. I got mine at tirechains.com