Anybody know where to grab a Hi Beam ground?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi FordTechOne - sorry if this is the wrong thread to follow-up on or not. I saw on another thread where someone mentioned you had indicated it is not a good idea to tap various lighting systems to make after market lights work alongside factory lights. I looked back through a lot of your posts and this seems to the closest one.

That is correct. The factory system uses Field Effect Transistors (FET) to power the lighting, in addition to other systems. The FET is designed to power only the load it’s rated for, so adding any additional load can cause the module to set a DTC and disable the circuit.

Assuming the comment was correct, when you indicate not to tap into factory lights are you meaning using quick splices or the wiring harnesses sold by various third party vendors. Similar to the wiring harness sold here: https://offroadalliance.com/collect...otorsports-third-brake-light-2017-2020-raptor Don't mean to single these guys out it is just the clearest example of what I am talking about.

Quick splices are by far the worst. They not only damage the factory circuits, but they provide a poor connection and breach the circuit sheathing, which can cause water and corrosion intrusion into the harness. Aftermarket plug and play harnesses may not cause circuit damage, but there is still the issue of overloading the circuit.

I have to add some after market lighting. It would be nice if it could be used as shown with the wiring harness but would prefer not to do that if it can cause issues. I would just hook it straight to upfitter switches then.

Thanks for any guidance/help.

The up fitter switches are always the best choice for any aftermarket lighting/equipment.

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct. The factory system uses Field Effect Transistors (FET) to power the lighting, in addition to other systems. The FET is designed to power only the load it’s rated for, so adding any additional load can cause the module to set a DTC and disable the circuit.

Quick splices are by far the worst. They not only damage the factory circuits, but they provide a poor connection and breach the circuit sheathing, which can cause water and corrosion intrusion into the harness. Aftermarket plug and play harnesses may not cause circuit damage, but there is still the issue of overloading the circuit.

The up fitter switches are always the best choice for any aftermarket lighting/equipment.

Thank you!