Anybody else over the new Raptor R already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
So I ordered my 2022 TRX (@ invoice for $78k) last July as soon as Ford unveiled the 2021 Raptor with the same shi.t.t.y V6. I bought my Gen 1 Raptor in November of 2012 after I showed my wife the Top Gear episode with Taner Foust ripping around in a Gen 1 Scab! That truck felt special and was a much better truck than my 2019 Gen 2.

After taking delivery of my TRX in February, I must say that it has the same "special" felling that the Gen 1 Raptor had but turned up a notch! Ford completely screwed the original Raptor owners and doubled down on the p..u.s-s!y V6. The Gen 2 is a wattered down Gen 1 with no soul. The Gen 3 is upgraded coils in the rear (to compete with the TRX) but still no soul. The Raptor R is an afterthought and Ford NEVER wanted to build it but saw how many buyers flipped to Ram because Ram gave the customer what they wanted. They overpriced the "R" because why not make a huge profit off people dumb enough to buy it.

There is a ton of value for the dollar in the TRX and you don't have to overpay. I hope more people will wake up and stop the stupid brand loyalty. Ford obviously doesn't care if you buy another Raptor.

Then there is also this!
Lot of BS to unpack here. The TRX is nice and definitely has its place in the segment. The ranking of where in the segment is subjective though. Funny how that link at the end talks about quarter mile times. That thought never crosses my mind when thinking about driving a truck designed to be off-road. Just tells you where RAM’s priorities are. I’m just happy we have a few different trucks to choose from.

GT4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TRX market has been flooded with vehicles, those that purchase the Raptor for a solid vehicle, that is useful in swaths of daily life, with solid value retention (i.e. no market saturation) will be sorely mistaken in the long run if they go the TRX route if I had to guess.

The R will be difficult to obtain, no doubt. But I don't foresee the values plummeting on them anytime soon (not even regular Raptors for that matter) considering how much more difficult they are to obtain.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think environmentalism is really the main driver here. Sure, they may say it is...but it isn't. EVs have a few advantages over ICE from a business perspective. For one, you have the government spending money to help you sell. It's much better route that having to spend lobby money to stop CAFE standards from continually making it more difficult to sell ICE.
Good point.
For two, Tesla proved that you can sell EVs without the dealership middleman. Ford can use EVs to change up their business model and be less dependent on dealerships and take in more profit per vehicle...or atleast offer vehicles for better price. Also allows controlling inventory better.
Maybe. Ford has already tangled with the tar baby. They're selling current EVs through the dealer network. I think it's a stretch.
A third reason, no more R&D on improving ICE. Maybe I'm 100% wrong , but we seem to be at a bit of dead end when it comes to improving efficiency and performance of ICE. Ford can change up the design, suspension, other things, but there isn't really much to add as far as getting more HP without making some new engines?
Hard to say. I think the game is doing more with less. Horsepower is more than adequate for everyone except the few for which too much is never enough. So it's all about efficiency. Ford has been good at that.
I'm not saying Ford is done with ICE. They would not have made the bronco if that were the case. I'm thinking they aren't going to continue to sell what they have, maybe with some tweaks.
I think you mean they are going to continue to sell what they have and I agree.
Whatever developments they make for EV that can be used with ICE, they will use.
I'm expecting a hybrid/EV fleet at Ford in about five years. No more straight up ICE again, ever.
Maybe they can start selling ICE without dealers as things move more to direct sales.
I doubt it. The dealer network is an albatross, but they have FMC by the short and curlies and I don't see them letting go.
And Ford is far from alone in this regard, since every company is looking hard at EVs. EVs sales aren't going to drop off for a long time, and if things look like crap and people want more ICE again, Ford is not in a worse position than anyone else.
Ford is in a worse position than all the startup EV makers who don't have a dealer network or union shops. Electric is a much simpler technology than ICE and the barriers to entry are lower. Being weighted down with dealer networks and union factories is likely to be a big deal. One advantage of EV is the potential to buy modules from suppliers rather than assemble them in a factory. But being able to do that means that the barrier to entry for startups is that much lower.
So, there are plenty of reason for Ford to make these decisions that have nothing to do with a desire to save the planet.
This is true. In my heart I hope that FMC is posturing for the tree-hugging crowd and will keep producing what people like me actually want to buy. My fear is that they're serious.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
You guys are misinterpreting the tea leaves. These companies aren’t just listening to some crazy leftist and pushing EV’s. The Let’s Go Brandon admin is putting a gun to their head and saying you will do this within a decade or else you won’t exist. That is not a free market growth with EV’s besting the ICE with innovation and tech. These companies are huge slow organizations that have to start converting now. When Biden says do this by 2030 the dealerships can’t just ignore it until that year. They have to start the long black train now….even if it’s a train right to hell

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez, feeling bitter much? Maybe you can get pills for that. I'm glad you finally got what you wanted. It's nice to have choices. That way we can all get what we want. I wouldn't trade my püssy gen 2 straight across for either a TRX or an R. So I'm happy. Maybe you could stop trying to make me unhappy because it's not working. I laughed all the way through your post and now I feel even happier. Cheers. :happy160:
Oh I definitely feel better, I just miss the old Raptor crowd so need to stop by every now and then! I was pissed off when the Gen 3 came out with the same V6, I'm happy now!

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lot of BS to unpack here. The TRX is nice and definitely has its place in the segment. The ranking of where in the segment is subjective though. Funny how that link at the end talks about quarter mile times. That thought never crosses my mind when thinking about driving a truck designed to be off-road. Just tells you where RAM’s priorities are. I’m just happy we have a few different trucks to choose from.
Sounds like you haven't been driving a Raptor for as long as some of us. My Gen 1 Raptor was a better truck than my Gen 2. I agree that it's good we have choices, just wish Ford never put a V6 in the Raptor. Quarter mile times in a truck mean nothing to me personally. It's the power that is just the icing on the cake along with a great AWD system. While I haven't had a chance to beat up the TRX in the desert yet, I did plenty of that with my Raptors. My Gen 1 with Fox 3.0's and Deavers was superior to the Gen 2 with Live Valve 3.0's, Eibachs and Deavers.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents: with all the comments here about EV’s (f150 lightning), what do you think when you‘ve actually seen one on the road? Was it like my thought “that (lightning) is ugly as sin!”. I would never buy that ev f150, it looks like a little toy, and nothing like a real F-150. Ford just announced the lay offs of thousands of workers and one of the resons was that those employees are not equipped to work with fords next phase of EV focus. We are witnessing the death of “car culture”. This next generation will never drive down main street or take over a parking lot with their hoods up to show what they drive, no more revving the engine, no more 4 wheeling etc. How fun will it be to show off your new ev “battery” or “modified infotainment screen”. Its happening across the board. Dodge announced they’re killing off the charger and challenger in ’23, they pledge to have an electric muscle car by ‘24. I thing gentlemen we are the last Gen, wether ur 1, 2 or 3 that will enjoy and take pride in this “culture” of the Internal Combustion Engine.

Cocles

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents: with all the comments here about EV’s (f150 lightning), what do you think when you‘ve actually seen one on the road? Was it like my thought “that (lightning) is ugly as sin!”. I would never buy that ev f150, it looks like a little toy, and nothing like a real F-150. Ford just announced the lay offs of thousands of workers and one of the resons was that those employees are not equipped to work with fords next phase of EV focus. We are witnessing the death of “car culture”. This next generation will never drive down main street or take over a parking lot with their hoods up to show what they drive, no more revving the engine, no more 4 wheeling etc. How fun will it be to show off your new ev “battery” or “modified infotainment screen”. Its happening across the board. Dodge announced they’re killing off the charger and challenger in ’23, they pledge to have an electric muscle car by ‘24. I thing gentlemen we are the last Gen, wether ur 1, 2 or 3 that will enjoy and take pride in this “culture” of the Internal Combustion Engine.

History repeats itself, or at least it rhymes. Look at the horse. It didn't go away, it just became an enthusiast vehicle. The car enthusiasts will continue to meet up with their roaring engines. Gas prices might be higher, but ICE vehicles will be just be that much more exotic.