Anybody else over the new Raptor R already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The point is there was no V8 and they still sold more. Most people are not so fixated on cylinder count. Especially when the 3.5 HO outperforms every V8 in Ford’s lineup sans the exclusive 5.2 S/C.
sold more and made more are two different things.. they sold every one they made, in all gens.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sold more and made more are two different things.. they sold every one they made, in all gens.
Supply and demand. Vehicles are built based on orders and sales volume. Gen 1 was an F-150 derivative with Raptor wide body fenders and suspension. Same frame, same powertrain, same mostly everything besides some “SVT” badges. It was an experiment to see if consumers would buy such a vehicle.

Gen 2 was the first time that the Raptor became its own brand. Unique body, interior, powertrain, features, and even the frame.

Last edited:

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point is there was no V8 and they still sold more. Most people are not so fixated on cylinder count. Especially when the 3.5 HO outperforms every V8 in Ford’s lineup sans the exclusive 5.2 S/C.
No question the 3.5 Ecoboost outperforms the V8’s. It just sounds like a riced out 350Z doing it. It’s not the lack of performance, it’s the sound that sucks.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No question the 3.5 Ecoboost outperforms the V8’s. It just sounds like a riced out 350Z doing it. It’s not the lack of performance, it’s the sound that sucks.
The sound is far from a “riced out Z”, unless you’re referring to an aftermarket exhaust? These trucks don’t sound anything like a rice burner, the only issue is the flat tone during acceleration, where you can tell the muffler/resonator are cancelling out a lot of sound.

The new exhaust on the Gen 3 sounds incredible, the trombone loop makes all the difference.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Supply and demand. Vehicles are built based on orders and sales volume. Gen 1 was an F-150 derivative with Raptor wide body fenders and suspension. Same frame, same powertrain, same mostly everything besides some “SVT” badges. It was an experiment to see if consumers would buy such a vehicle.

Gen 2 was the first time that the Raptor became its own brand. Unique body, interior, powertrain, features, and even the frame.
I get what you are getting at, but is the gen 2 really that much more different than the gen1 vs their appropriate f150’s?

What is more unique on the gen 2 body vs is year f150 that wasn’t unique on the gen 1? Hood, grill, fascia, fenders, and bedsides.

I would probably argue the interior is near equally different between the gens as well.

Also couldn’t you get the 3.5 HO in a limited or a platinum?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get what you are getting at, but is the gen 2 really that much more different than the gen1 vs their appropriate f150’s?

What is more unique on the gen 2 body vs is year f150 that wasn’t unique on the gen 1? Hood, grill, fascia, fenders, and bedsides.

I would probably argue the interior is near equally different between the gens as well.

Also couldn’t you get the 3.5 HO in a limited or a platinum?
My reference to the body being unique was in comparison to a standard F-150, I just grouped it in there.

The 3.5 HO was only available in the Limited, and only for 2 years (‘19 & ‘20). The Limited was more expensive than the Raptor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What all is actually different? I know of the coil buckets and I’m sure maybe some plating. But I have never heard what all is different.
Per the launch information with the chief engineer, they started with the heaviest version of the standard F-150 frame and then strengthened the rails, shock towers, and shock and spring mounts. The center section was redesigned and is made from high strength steel.