Any replacement intercooler regrets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digscruze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on installing the IC myself and just haven't had time or the nerve to do so yet. I've read about hoses blowing off, and it started to worry me a little...
I’m currently running one without any issues. The Hose blowing off is more a problem with the clamps than with the hoses themselves. I recommend a V band clamp over the ones they provide. Other than the lack of details provided in the instruction manual, it’s not that hard to install it.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I plan on installing the IC myself and just haven't had time or the nerve to do so yet. I've read about hoses blowing off, and it started to worry me a little...
The hose’s blowing off are more to a lack of proper fitting and tightening. Even the stock clamps work just fine. Just do the job carefully and correct and while not breaking them, torque those clamps down very well. Rock solid but feel your way through. IC swap in these trucks isn’t complex, and even laying on the ground with the front up some is not bad. You can even use a small jack to help raise and lower the IC up.

digscruze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hose’s blowing off are more to a lack of proper fitting and tightening. Even the stock clamps work just fine. Just do the job carefully and correct and while not breaking them, torque those clamps down very well. Rock solid but feel your way through. IC swap in these trucks isn’t complex, and even laying on the ground with the front up some is not bad. You can even use a small jack to help raise and lower the IC up.
You are correct as well. I’m running the stock clamps and while they are good enough, you just have to torque them down really tight. I haven’t had any issues with mines as well but
If you still keep having issues with the hose blowing off, then I would switch to the other style of clamps

INDO-RAPTOR

Reaction score
Ordered a Mishimoto IC (silver) for my '20 Raptor. After reading online complaints regarding the black Mishimotos peeling the black coating, and watching many videos like, ENGINEERING EXPLAINED, regarding heat transfer of IC's, I went with the silver "Mishi". Black may have been "cooler looking", but physics is a hard thing to beat when every degree drop in air temperature may count. (ie: ADD's, Injen's, AFE's, CPE's and Whipple's silver/natural metal color coincide)
Wagner's (black in color) seemed to require some metal trimming, which is something I wanted to avoid as well. The main idea was to use an better performing aftermarket IC that, overall, fits in the stock location. Basically, the additional step regarding installation is the removal of the "air tunnel" (a snap-in piece) has to be performed to fit the "Mishi" into place.
While my purchase was not with them (the silver model was not available on their website at my time of purchase), I must grant accolades to CJPONYPARTS for their great video on the "Mishi" install. Many other videos are of earlier F150 models with installs, but CJ's is much more relevant to the GEN2 Raptor. (Go Freddy!)
The next step is to look into some V Band Clamps.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
You are correct as well. I’m running the stock clamps and while they are good enough, you just have to torque them down really tight. I haven’t had any issues with mines as well but
If you still keep having issues with the hose blowing off, then I would switch to the other style of clamps
Yeah, the clamps used really isn’t the problem. Peopl, even good shops, don’t clean the hoses and intercooler completely free of oil and mold-release lubes before installing them. The inside of the hose and the coupling nipple MUST be free from any lubricants other than clean water for assembly. I’ve NEVER had a stock hose clamp fail or a hose blow off. The problems aren’t with the clamps, but with the goon doing the work…. I’ve seen people use heavy duty clamps and crush the metal nipple with excess torque while trying to stop hoses blowing off that are slippery with motor oil blow by. You can’t fix stupid, only try to mitigate the damages.