Any recommendations for a dashcam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody mount the rear unit outside of vehicle? I'm going to put in a rack so rear view will be complete obstructed once gear is loaded up. Wonder how the unit would hold up or find a water resistant housing that will fit.

NVM, I found the answer, looks like Blackvue makes a unit just for this.

BlackVue DR750X-3CH-TRUCK-PLUS Cloud-Ready Triple Lens Dash Cam W/ Waterproof Exterior Rear Camera.​

posting as FYI.

Last edited:

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife got me the Blackvue DR900X plus. Installed in about 45 mins. Hard wired into fuse panel (34 and 36). Originally ordered some fuse taps from Amazon but would only fit if I trimmed of the tabs (see pic). I ended up ordering these from Amazon and they worked with no modification. Also 3D printed a bracket for rear camera so I could open back window without all the wire slack. See pic.

These work:

These DID NOT WITHOUT MODIFICATION (remove raised rails where arrows are pointing)

Here is the bracket I made. I have 3D file for those who need it. Just PM me. I just used double sided tape for part the attaches to top of window.

View attachment 336023
That’s a pretty cool mount, even cooler that it was 3D printed. Have you considered selling them? I know the market isn’t huge but I bet a few around here would jump on it

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill vote for the blackvue as I've been running their cams for the last 10 years. My buddy has a 4K Thinkware and he likes it. The dashcam market has come a long way in those 10 years, it really comes down to features you desire and budget.

ryeabs

Reaction score
Also sporting a Blackvue, tapped into aux switch and fuse box. Mounted the rear camera just to the passenger side of center to not interfere with the sliding window. Very easy to tuck the wires under the headliner. Just pulled the bottom passenger kick panel near fuse box for easier access to ground.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
That’s a pretty cool mount, even cooler that it was 3D printed. Have you considered selling them? I know the market isn’t huge but I bet a few around here would jump on it
I thought about selling them. I prototyped with PLA printer and the final was Black Resin on my Formlabs SLA printer. It’s only $2 in material, but I printer on high resolution and took 8 hrs. the Problem is the better print is more brittle and take longer. I will look into Black on my other PLA and see how long at a better resolution. Can’t be more than $1. I will look into and post back here.
if anyone is interested just respond here.

Attachments

• E7D2ED71-D4F3-42F5-B1B2-9EA7A22C465F.jpeg
    E7D2ED71-D4F3-42F5-B1B2-9EA7A22C465F.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 59

KCHawkeye02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into this heavily. Blackboxmycar.com is very helpful, also Vortex Radar on YouTube does great reviews. I am going with the latest Blackvue 900x plus. Haven't decided if I will get a rear or just front yet. Close second was the Thinkware u1000. If you live in a hot climate and park outside for many hours, some dashcams can overheat and power off. Something to look into if that is your case. Also get the largest micro SD card the dashcam supports.

If you want parking mode video, I would recommend a separate battery so you don't drain the trucks. I know it should be fine, and usually is, but the one time it does drain it will suck.

If you want cloud real time updates if your truck gets hit for example, you need a hotspot. The truck wifi only works when running accessories is on. I don't think I need that, but if I did, I was just going to get a hotspot with my cell provider and run it off that separate battery I mentioned with the wifi name hidden.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into this heavily. Blackboxmycar.com is very helpful, also Vortex Radar on YouTube does great reviews. I am going with the latest Blackvue 900x plus. Haven't decided if I will get a rear or just front yet. Close second was the Thinkware u1000. If you live in a hot climate and park outside for many hours, some dashcams can overheat and power off. Something to look into if that is your case. Also get the largest micro SD card the dashcam supports.

If you want parking mode video, I would recommend a separate battery so you don't drain the trucks. I know it should be fine, and usually is, but the one time it does drain it will suck.

If you want cloud real time updates if your truck gets hit for example, you need a hotspot. The truck wifi only works when running accessories is on. I don't think I need that, but if I did, I was just going to get a hotspot with my cell provider and run it off that separate battery I mentioned with the wifi name hidden.
I am in the same boat as you. I am on vacation and reading away on cams. I was going to get the 1ch and add the 2nd (back camera) channel later BUT.. if you get a Blackvue, you CANNOT retrofit a 2ch on a 1ch. You need to either get a 1ch or 2ch. No way to add on later without buying the 2ch system

Floyd554

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was looking at a Blackvue 590x or the 900x. Don’t they both automatically shut down if they sense battery drain? Also, I figured a 128 gb card was more than adequate. Could you share your thoughts on why a 256gb would be a must? Just picking your brain. Tnx.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was looking at a Blackvue 590x or the 900x. Don’t they both automatically shut down if they sense battery drain? Also, I figured a 128 gb card was more than adequate. Could you share your thoughts on why a 256gb would be a must? Just picking your brain. Tnx.
I always read that it's best to just get the largest card, a few extra bucks for double the storage. 4k video probably takes up more space. I believe it also depends on how you wire it as far as how long it stays on. From my research some people that tie it into the ACC fuse say it still will record up to an hour after you turn the truck off because that's how long the ACC stay on with the truck. You can also purchase the battery pack from the BlackVue website if you're worried about battery drain. If you wire it into the aux switches can someone else confirm that would stay on indefinitely (as long as that switch is on)?

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
I always read that it's best to just get the largest card, a few extra bucks for double the storage. 4k video probably takes up more space. I believe it also depends on how you wire it as far as how long it stays on. From my research some people that tie it into the ACC fuse say it still will record up to an hour after you turn the truck off because that's how long the ACC stay on with the truck. You can also purchase the battery pack from the BlackVue website if you're worried about battery drain. If you wire it into the aux switches can someone else confirm that would stay on indefinitely (as long as that switch is on)?
Mine, when in parking mode, is recording at 1 minute time elapse. If it detects movement, it then records normally. It has a built in battery discharge voltage cut off that you can set your self.

I have the 64gb card, and glad I didn't waste money going bigger (apparently you are advised to buy their cards, as people said sandisk etc do not work). It is not like a long video you are recording as they are broken down into 1 minute videos unless it detects an impact.

From BV:

Continuously records at 1FPS (one frame per second). Videos are played back at 30FPS.
1-minute Time lapse Parking Mode video = 30 minutes real time coverage.
Cover a period of more than 54 hours on a 32GB microSD card front and rear at the highest (Extreme) quality setting.
When an impact is detected, the dashcam creates a buffered Event video.

I have only logged into to make sure it is working. This is more a set it and forget device (until you need it). I will use my GP Hero to record a continuous video if needed.