Any other reason to buy a CAI for Gen 2s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the consensus on this forum is the CAI for our engine does not provide additional HP. A few have disputed this claim, but I have not seen any hard dyno numbers to prove it one way or the other. I know Whipple recommends them and the shop doing my build says they normally install them on Gen 2s with a tune.

Is there any other reason to buy a $300 CAI? I.e. runs cooler, sounds better, looks good when you open your hood, etc?

https://www.realtruck.com/s-b-cold-air-intakes/R18864P2018Y212MA.html

I am doing an MPT tune with the Full Race cooler and possibly the SPD Turbo Adapters with Flowmaster Flow FX muffler, if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen dynos with just an intake, usually about 10HP or so on a stock truck. People install them for that, sound and looks I guess. The issue I have with most of them is that they aren't good at filtering (again, most of them).

Funny enough, the S&B you linked is at the top of my list, with the dry disposable filter - it flows LESS than the oiled cotton but it filters better.

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have seen dynos with just an intake, usually about 10HP or so on a stock truck. People install them for that, sound and looks I guess. The issue I have with most of them is that they aren't good at filtering (again, most of them).

Funny enough, the S&B you linked is at the top of my list, with the dry disposable filter - it flows LESS than the oiled cotton but it filters better.

The shop doing my build is recommending the dry filter S&B. He has used them on other Gen 2s with good results. When I talked to MPT, they said a CAI for a tuned TT V6 does not add power, but that it will add some sound.

The truck I saw it in looked pretty good with the clear window over the white filter.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you have a way to get more airflow through your engine the gains will be minimal. Depending on how much you will be changing or modifiying your engine that would depend on how much increased air intake you will need. I can say for my set up most CAI did not offer enough air flow for the engine mods we made. I opted for a dual filter intake which increased my intake air flow by 100%. Whoever is doing your tune should take this all into account.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cai makes zero hp on a tuned truck. If you want more noise remove the two sound reducers in the stock intake and remove the sound deadening foam on the hard intake pipes coming off the turbos.

Dry vs oiled debate is filled with so much information it makes my head spin.

Oiled filter trap more dirt and repeal water. The common misconception is they can fowel the mass air flow sensor which is impossible on our truck since it's post turbo.

Dry foam amd cotton airfilters were created to cater to the sheeple who over oiled a filter on a pre turbo maf (or NA) vehicle and caused problems. But like I said it's impossible to get air filter oil on our maf since it's post turbo. The oil would have to travel through the turbo and the intercooler.

The stock intake is not a restriction and a paper air filter will catch more water than a cotton or foam filter will anyday.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The turbo sound. People are trying exhausts to make there trucks sound better, when its the TURBOS you want louder, not the ****** V6.