Any other home tuners here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badass69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in the heads/cam thread I have HP tuners and I will be tuning my heads/cam/headers combo truck. Anyone else here tune on their own?

For a backstory I asked this on the "regular" F150 forums and basically received back I am an idiot for doing it..... lol...... my reaction was "wow" to say the least. As an active member on forums like Performancetrucks.net..... home tuning is pretty run of the mill. I have tuned my own GM trucks with EFILive for a while and the HP platform is very similar software to EFI. I have pulled both the stock tune as well as an SCT tune I paid for out of my FX4's PCM. I will start from the stock tune to do my own.... the paid for one is okay but nothing special that I don't already know how to do. I got a lot of flack about that too from the same crowds telling me it's impossible to pull an encrypted SCT tune...... sorry to say...... HP does it with absolutely no problems. It's sort of bad in the sense that guys could easily hack and resell tunes someone else makes as their own...... I don't tune vehicles for the public.... I am greedy..... it's all for my benefit. I don't have any desire to deal with the public and the liability of selling tunes. I pay enough corporate insurance as it is with my actual business.

In fact I will go further to say I know it works fine as I uploaded the SCT tune to HP, reset the truck to stock with the SCT tuner, and downloaded my "custom" tune file back in the truck via HP's software. Truck is identical to how it ran with the SCT flash so it's not missing parameters or something silly. HP has come a long way in the last little while to build a decent platform as an alternative to SCT...... and probably open the doors to a lot more places to tune Fords. The Copperhead PCM in the V8 trucks, Mustangs and whatnot was their focus so that's what's out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Badass69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read read and more reading. It's a huge step if you have a good familiarity of how everything works together on a fuel injected platform. Then you at the least can understand what most of the main parameter tables are dealing with. There is a lot of good support on forums and piles of information for a novice. Plus they answer respectfully for the most part which is huge. I will be learning forever for the most part as it is a hobby. Comparing tunes helps a lot too not for copy paste but to see actually what you change and how it reacts. You can learn a lot from that alone. But fundamentals is key... As an example if you don't know how or why a maf sensor affects your transmission shifts you will have a hard time. It's a big learning curve but if you dedicate some time you can learn. I had a good start as I do plc programming in industrial facilities and have a pretty extensive knowledge of how fuel injection systems work. It's fun honestly and there is lots of help out there if you need it :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to get into doing this, any tips for getting started?

Baby steps and good gas. Get a good wideband put in too.

Once you have all of the fuel stuff right you can start working on other stuff.

Lots of reading too, you need to know how everything works together too. Like the OP mentioned messing with the MAF stuff will affect all kinds of stuff.

SCT has a good book about how to do stuff with their software, but it applies to all of the tuning.

If you really start to lean on stuff just know you are playing with fire. You blow your junk up you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Always read the internet stuff with a grain of salt, there will always be nay sayers and people who will tell you things won't work. Read carefully and you will find a few guys who know what is up and will give you good answers.

I've done a good bit of my own Gen 2 Lightning tuning, but the computers in a Raptor are way more involved.

Always save and number your tunes in a logical sequence too, that way you can always go back if you new idea doesn't work out.