Any of you guys tow a trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
You have 2 issues to consider:

* Max payload - ~1000lbs
* Max trailer weight - 8000lbs for a 12+ SCREW.

Do not forget that trailer tonge weight must be subtracted from payload as well as people and gear etc etc.

Ran in to this issue going to Death Valley with my 23' Toybox.

The toybox was only 6940lbs. which is below the max trailer weight.

However, we had 4 people, off-road gear in the bed along with a small BBQ, some chairs and don't forget the gas in the tank.

As you can see with the attached weight certificate, on the front axle I was over by 40lbs. On the rear axle I was over by 140lbs.

Overall I was over the max weight by 120lbs. which I don't think will harm anything in the long run but I prefer to be below the max weight.

So next time we travel with four people I will carry less fresh water and on-board gas in the trailer until I get closer to my destination...

Attachments

• Weight.jpg
    Weight.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 164

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just bought a Winnebago Minnie 2455 travel trailer. It's about 28' long, 8' wide, has a dry weight of 5320 lbs and a dry hitch weight of 660 lbs. The hitch height is 25".

I'm running stock suspension and tires with front on mid-perch. I have a few questions for those of you running a similar set up.

1. How much drop will I get on my suspension without using a hitch equalizer?

2. Do you recommend an equalizer? Why/why not?

3. How much drop (if any) do I need by ball hitch to be if the height of the trailer hitch is 25"?

Thanks.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We just bought a Winnebago Minnie 2455 travel trailer. It's about 28' long, 8' wide, has a dry weight of 5320 lbs and a dry hitch weight of 660 lbs. The hitch height is 25".

I'm running stock suspension and tires with front on mid-perch. I have a few questions for those of you running a similar set up.

1. How much drop will I get on my suspension without using a hitch equalizer?

2. Do you recommend an equalizer? Why/why not?

3. How much drop (if any) do I need by ball hitch to be if the height of the trailer hitch is 25"?

Thanks.

1) You will get a lot of drop, i get ~1" with 400lbs tongue wieght.

2) You require one our hitch is rated for a max of 500lbs tongue weight without using an equalizer hitch. With an equalizer you can go to 1300lbs or max payload minus you whichever comes first.

3) With a WD hitch you are looking to keep the ride level I would not expect more than a 0.75" drop all around when correctly installed. Level your trailer and measure the real height of the tongue, then measure the drop you will require on the hitch. If this is your first WD hitch I recommend you go to your local RV store and have them set it up for you and show you how to set it up.

No for the hitch make sure you get an accurate tongue weight on your trailer, use a tongue scale or this Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale

One you have the correct weight find a WD hitch that is rated just over your tongue weight, if you buy a hitch with 1000lbs torsion bars your ride is going to suck it will make towing horrible. If you are in the 600-800lbs range then 800lbs seems to be what you want, if below 600lbs there are some other options. Either way I recommend that you pick one up that has a physical sway control bar on it as it will also improve towing stability.

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) You will get a lot of drop, i get ~1" with 400lbs tongue wieght.

2) You require one our hitch is rated for a max of 500lbs tongue weight without using an equalizer hitch. With an equalizer you can go to 1300lbs or max payload minus you whichever comes first.

3) With a WD hitch you are looking to keep the ride level I would not expect more than a 0.75" drop all around when correctly installed. Level your trailer and measure the real height of the tongue, then measure the drop you will require on the hitch. If this is your first WD hitch I recommend you go to your local RV store and have them set it up for you and show you how to set it up.

No for the hitch make sure you get an accurate tongue weight on your trailer, use a tongue scale or this Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale

One you have the correct weight find a WD hitch that is rated just over your tongue weight, if you buy a hitch with 1000lbs torsion bars your ride is going to suck it will make towing horrible. If you are in the 600-800lbs range then 800lbs seems to be what you want, if below 600lbs there are some other options. Either way I recommend that you pick one up that has a physical sway control bar on it as it will also improve towing stability.

Thanks. Yeah, this is my first dual-axle trailer. I hauled an 18" jet-boat years ago, but it was much lighter and only had a single axle. I hauled it with a Suburban and didn't have to level it really. Never had issues with it.

This looks much more complicated than I thought. I may just have the RV dealer set it up for me.