Any Help with these codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Similar issues....

2019 Raptor, 34k miles, all stock, always 91 octane gas w detergents, Full synthetic oil at 5k intervals.

Intermittent symptoms:
1) rough idle
2) hesitant acceleration
3) abnormal shifting.

No Check Engine Light

OBD outputs:

P0018 - crankshaft-to-camshaft position; Bank 2 Sensor A

P0021 - “A” camshaft position timing, over advanced (Bank 2)

Dealer was able to see the codes in the PCM memory without CEL. They were not able to find root cause. They cleaned camshaft and crank shaft position sensors.

They found the following “bulletin” and executed to it.

SSM 48423 - 2015-2020 Various Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator
Lamp (MIL) With Variable Cam Timing (VCT) DTCs - Diagnostic Information Some 2015-2020 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0011, P0012, P0014, P0015, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0021, P0022, P0024 and/or P0025. This may be due to small debris causing the VCT solenoid to stick. Before attempting any component diagnosis or replacement of the VCT solenoid, refer to Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test HK11 to cycle the affected VCT solenoid 10 times to attempt to clear the debris. For claiming, use causal part 6M280 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Results:

Rough idle has occurred once since then, roughly 100 miles. So issues doesn’t seem to be fixed. Disappointing.

Symptoms are so intermittent. Can’t trace it to temperature or run time. When symptoms are not present, truck drives flawlessly at all throttle inputs.

anyone have any ideas? High probability it’s VCT related.

If the cycled the VCT solenoids per the SSM and the issue got better, they are root cause. At that point the affected solenoids should be replaced since the cycle procedure did not resolve the issue. The solenoids are on external to the valve covers are are easy to access.

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
If the cycled the VCT solenoids per the SSM and the issue got better, they are root cause. At that point the affected solenoids should be replaced since the cycle procedure did not resolve the issue. The solenoids are on external to the valve covers are are easy to access.

Cycling the VCT 10x IAW the SSM didn’t resolve issue. Truck is back at the dealer for further troubleshooting.

fordraptorfun

Reaction score

Cycling VCT IAW SSM didn’t work,

Dealer replaced Left Hand Intake camshaft solenoid (Bank 2 Sensor A).

We’ll see if it’s the true fix.

LH valve cover had to be removed, otherwise not sure how you’d access the solenoid screws.

I’ll report back after a few thousand miles.

287764C8-59CE-450E-915E-F3EA0798D47D.png B92B964F-9328-4F71-A652-3A667434BB69.png

Eship

Reaction score
Chris1980

I have exact same codes and symptoms. 2019 Supercrew w/16,000 odo.

I have an appointment with local dealer, but it's not until 3/9. Thanks in advance for providing a report with results of solenoid replacement.

Eship

Reaction score
Update. My truck has been troubleshot by ford dealer and will be having the cam phasers and vct solenoids replaced.

Note that my truck didn't exhibit any cold start cam phaser rattle when my performance issues started and trouble codes initially gathered (if there was cam phaser rattle present, it would have been faint and intermittent enough to go unnoticed). However, my truck began exhibiting clear cam phaser rattle on every other cold start for 3 days leading up to my 3/9 service appointment with the dealer. Truck estimated schedule to be back on the road end of next week.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
Update. My truck has been troubleshot by ford dealer and will be having the cam phasers and vct solenoids replaced.

Note that my truck didn't exhibit any cold start cam phaser rattle when my performance issues started and trouble codes initially gathered (if there was cam phaser rattle present, it would have been faint and intermittent enough to go unnoticed). However, my truck began exhibiting clear cam phaser rattle on every other cold start for 3 days leading up to my 3/9 service appointment with the dealer. Truck estimated schedule to be back on the road end of next week.
Any update on how they did? I've had the same VCT solenoid once or twice, and may have the cam phaser noise as well.
I'm really nervous having another mechanic under my hood though :/

Eship

Reaction score
Any update on how they did? I've had the same VCT solenoid once or twice, and may have the cam phaser noise as well.
I'm really nervous having another mechanic under my hood though :/
I started my own thread called "my issues post cam phaser replacement". My experience has been a bumpy road.

RaptorGuy6

Reaction score
Similar issues....

2019 Raptor, 34k miles, all stock, always 91 octane gas w detergents, Full synthetic oil at 5k intervals.

Intermittent symptoms:
1) rough idle
2) hesitant acceleration
3) abnormal shifting.

No Check Engine Light

OBD outputs:

P0018 - crankshaft-to-camshaft position; Bank 2 Sensor A

P0021 - “A” camshaft position timing, over advanced (Bank 2)

Dealer was able to see the codes in the PCM memory without CEL. They were not able to find root cause. They cleaned camshaft and crank shaft position sensors.

They found the following “bulletin” and executed to it.

SSM 48423 - 2015-2020 Various Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator
Lamp (MIL) With Variable Cam Timing (VCT) DTCs - Diagnostic Information Some 2015-2020 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0011, P0012, P0014, P0015, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0021, P0022, P0024 and/or P0025. This may be due to small debris causing the VCT solenoid to stick. Before attempting any component diagnosis or replacement of the VCT solenoid, refer to Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test HK11 to cycle the affected VCT solenoid 10 times to attempt to clear the debris. For claiming, use causal part 6M280 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Results:

Rough idle has occurred once since then, roughly 100 miles. So issues doesn’t seem to be fixed. Disappointing.

Symptoms are so intermittent. Can’t trace it to temperature or run time. When symptoms are not present, truck drives flawlessly at all throttle inputs.

anyone have any ideas? High probability it’s VCT related.
So my 18 raptor went to the dealer yesterday with the same issue. lets see what they say.