Antilock issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
When I drove the Gen3 back from Texas in June, situation where I had to emergency stop - truck behaved like no antilock brake system activated. Almost lost control. Chocked it up to “newest” of truck brakes/system.

Last night was cut off on interstate and same thing when hit the brakes hard. Definitely didn’t brake like Gen2 - controllable, straight line. Don’t recall pedal pulsing either. Had to steer to control stop in my lane.

Not a mechanic, so is this a possible antilock issue?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 3’s have Electric Brake Boost (EBB), so you will not feel the ABS activate through the brake pedal. Are your suspension and tires all stock?

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be, find a gravel road and test it (less stress on everything). Look at the skid marks in the gravel. You should be able to tell both from the feel and the marks.
Thanks .. will do. Beast is going in for 1st service soon, so want to be able let them know if I think it’s a problem.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was told once years ago, an anti lock brake system is only as good as the tire with the least traction. If that is true, maybe check the tire pressures with a gauge.
I have had several emergency braking events in my 21. I could not believe how well it worked.

OP
OP
CTK59

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told once years ago, an anti lock brake system is only as good as the tire with the least traction. If that is true, maybe check the tire pressures with a gauge.
I have had several emergency braking events in my 21. I could not believe how well it worked.
Thanks, Running recommendation PSI... and never had incident like this with previous GEN2 Raptor. 1st time chocked it up to newest of brakes/tires, me being tired, etc. but this second time scared the hell out of me in how poorly it handled.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 3’s have Electric Brake Boost (EBB), so you will not feel the ABS activate through the brake pedal. Are your suspension and tires all stock?
Speaking of brakes. Do you have any info on the new brake systems in the gen3 vs old master cylinder brakes. Never could find much info.

Last edited:

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OBTW.....a tid bit from Raptor Assault. Different modes effect the antilock brake strategy. We tested this in normal and baha modes .....very noticeable difference. My instructor said in baha mode the truck tries to pile dirt in front of the tires to help stop. What ever it was doing, baha mode stopped much quicker on the dirt than normal mode ...by about half the distance.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of brakes. Do you have any info on the new brake systems in the gen3 vs old master cylinder brakes. Never could find much info.
Gen 2 uses a traditional vacuum brake booster and master cylinder with a separate ABS Module/HCU assembly. Gen 3 switched to the new system called Electric Brake Boost (EBB). It combines the booster, master cylinder, ABS Module, and HCU into one assembly.