Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 1 Antenna Mounts HAM vs CB bases compatible???

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 1]' started by MEIRONMAN207, Feb 3, 2020.

1. MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207 Full Access Member

New to HAM radio and taking steps to get informed, study, take test and still looking/learning about radios platforms/brands etc...

So as many on this forum (maybe?), in efforts to save $$$(not cheap-ass), frugal, trying to reduce the hoarding syndrome and as a valiant effort to appease my better half, I pose the following question that btw I checked the internet, called the Mfc., and still not gotten a definitive answer?

So here it is, "I have a Wilson 1000 CB radio whip antenna and 5" mag mount that has served me well and never had fall off...", My question is, "Can the “magnetic mount” and cable only be used/match for a HAM “antenna” and are they compatible ? It’s my understanding that the “CB antenna” is not compatible to be used for a HAM radio/transmitter. I’m just wondering if the magnetic mount and cable can be used for the HAM transmitter/antenna?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. PlainJane

PlainJane Full Access Member

Yes,
    Ideally you should shorten the whip to match some portion of the wave length that you are using.
    If there is a HAM club in your area, I am sure they would help you match your antenna for the HAM radio.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    SS308 likes this.
  3. MEIRONMAN207

MEIRONMAN207 Full Access Member

Yes. I have been researching and looking up
    local clubs as well as looking up national clubs/groups etc. Still not there yet, as far as joining as I am a total noob on HAM other than basics and previous CB enthusiast that just recently started using again, two way radios when I was employed. Will try to attend an open house or event if one comes up in the near future.

4. jondle

jondle Full Access Member

I had a magnetic antenna mount for a couple of years. Only had it knocked off a couple of times; I was surprised how well it stayed while off road. It did scratch the hell out of the roof.

I was on a run with 4 other trucks once and the three trucks with magnetic mounts all had the antennas break off and the two with solid mounts (with rubber to act as a spring) were perfectly fine. No idea what we hit to break the antenna, but I've had a solid mount now for 5 or 6 years and no issues ever.