GEN 2 Another Wrench icon thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabidranger

Reaction score
2018 SCAB, bought Nov 2019 with 761 miles on it. Bone stock except for JLT catch can at 1000 miles with the 1st oil change I did. I have 4777.7 miles on it today.

Halfway home from taco bell the wrench icon came on and I got the typical list of errors others have seen.
- Hill start assist not active
- Hill descent control fault
- Collision warning not available
- Service AdvanceTrac
- See Manual

I also got some Sync faults I have not seen anyone else here mention. The Sync kept telling me 911 alert was not available (every 60 seconds that would not clear until I pressed ok), then the screen displayed a nav fault error and would not show the maps.

I will be taking it to the dealership when they have an opening, but after searching here and reading a few threads it seems like it could be one of 3 things.
- Pedal Commander (which I do not have)
- Bad gateway module
- Water in one or more of the connectors on the drivers side wheel well.

I elected to check the connectors, since that is easy and could save me a trip to the stealership. No water in the connectors, they were bone dry. However, I heard this repeating noise:

The hell is that? I think it was coming from the battery area, but I could not tell exactly where. There was 2 times the same noise started extremely faint, took about 3 seconds to "wind" up, then lasted for about 6 seconds. I could not get one of those recorded though. It eventually stopped after about 15 minutes of poking around under the hood. The drivers door was open the entire time I was under the hood tonight if that matters.

MJK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that’s super strange. Sorry man but I’m super curious to hear what others chime in with.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought someone found a super loose connection at the battery with similar problems. Good luck

OP
OP
rabidranger

rabidranger

Reaction score
I wonder if it could be pressure bleed to the evaporator for the AC system... Been using the defroster pretty much continuously here in Michigan. Just pulled that outta my a$$ so someone who knows more about AC should probably comment!

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speed Sensor will cause a similar fault. Geta a decent code reader and it will tell you which one is bad. Its one of the rear two wheels. Either the cable has a cut or you have dirt inside the hub that you can blow out with compressed.

OP
OP
rabidranger

rabidranger

Reaction score
Speed Sensor will cause a similar fault. Geta a decent code reader and it will tell you which one is bad. Its one of the rear two wheels. Either the cable has a cut or you have dirt inside the hub that you can blow out with compressed.

Pulled codes after it happened, nothing stored.

Took it to the dealer Friday and of course nothing was wrong. It had cleared all the faults and ran normal. They said there was a code stored that indicated that there was a drop in comms on the network to the gateway module. They said it was a one time thing. I asked if they could replace the gateway module. They said no, but if I bring it in for the same thing again they will. They also said it was not making that noise I recorded when I dropped it off so they could not replicate/deduce what it was.