Another Upfitter Questions...LOST POWER UNDER HOOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawgdriver

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Sorry for another up fitter question but i'm stumped.
Here's my setup on a 2014 Raptor:
Aux 1: 40" Rigid light bar white light (bottom row) - Yellow Wire connected with Purple pass through wire
Aux 2: 40" Rigid Light bar amber light (top row) - Green/Purple Wire connected with Green pass through wire
Aux 3: White Rigid Cubes
Aux 4: Amber Rigid Cubes

I've had these lights operational for a couple of years now.
A couple months ago the bottom row of my 2 row Rigid Light Bar started to be intermittent.
Within a couple of days the bottom row, running off Aux 1, stopped working.
Based on the indications I quickly assumed the light bar went bad so I sent it to rigid.
Rigid returned the light bar saying it tested good but they replaced some parts and the front lens.
I remounted the light hoping it would function normally, but it didn't.
I've tracked down as much as I could but what am I missing???
Here is what I've checked:
Fuses #18 AND #19 check good (swapped them to ensure)
Main Relays check good (swapped them to ensure)
Relays in the separate relay box under hood near driver side windshield check good (swapped to ensure)
When I flip the Aux 1 switch it sounds like it triggers the relay.
With a tester I know I have power to the Yellow Wire, the Purple Wire, the Green/Purple Wire and the Green wire under the glovebox.
But here's where it gets crazy and I can't find the solution....
When checking the wires under the hood/after the pass through wires pass through the firewall in the large wire bundle...I have power to the Green Wire but I have NO POWER TO THE PURPLE WIRE!!
HOW IS THE PURPLE PASS THROUGH WIRE "HOT" UNDER THE GLOVEBOX BUT not HOT UNDER THE HOOD?????

Please help, it's driving me nuts!!
Thank you!

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Were the joints soldered, crimped or just twisted? Maybe it's time to get bloody and pull the joints apart, check for corrosion and re-do them.

OP
OP
H

Hawgdriver

Reaction score
I sure did! Swapped connectors. But the most puzzling point is I have power on the purple wire under the glove box but no power from the same wire under the hood. Isn’t the pass the through wire one solid wire??

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It should be one piece, maybe it isn't anymore. You will have to run a bypass if you are unable to find a break.

Almost 9 years into my truck and I have had to do too many electronic repairs. Kinda weak in my experience. Wiring corroding and breaking shouldn't happen where it has, seems random too. I have a 53 year old F250 that has better wiring, albeit much more simple too.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It sounds like you either have a bad connection under the glove box from the Hot wire to the pass-through wire.

Or.

Somewhere along the way, the pass-through wire is bad. I'd be willing to bet that the wire has a gash in it somewhere and that's why you have no power under the hood. I'd tackle that pass through wire and perhaps run a new pass-through wire if need be.

OP
OP
H

Hawgdriver

Reaction score
Ughhhh....so disappointing on a not so cheap truck!

It looks like the pass through wire comes through with a huge bundle of other wires. Has anyone passed through a new wire?

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I ran more wires through the firewall. I went through some existing large grommets that had enough free space. Just poked a hole with an awl or similar pokey thingy and ran the wire through.