Another rattle…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 Gen 2. 51k miles. First rattle back when ended with the cam phaser replacement. Wastegate rattles on cold start as well. And now this… at low speed, low rpm, after accelerating ever so slightly…when I let off I get this metallic rattle from somewhere underneath what sounds like the drivers side of the truck. Just noticed it tonight. Can’t tell if it’s the exhaust, heat shield, god only knows at this point. Well actually I’m hoping another Raptor owner can steer me in the right direction. Sorry in advance if the video clip isn’t the best. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    5.2 MB

Jaymare404

Reaction score
TO ME... that almost sounds like a chain dragging on the ground underneath the truck. My suggestion is that you take a rubber mallet and climb under your truck and start LIGHTLY hitting things to see if you can replicate the sound. It would be easier if you had someone in the driverseat that knew what to listen for. This is probably how the dealership will try and identify the noise.

OP
OP
Gen2Boost

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TO ME... that almost sounds like a chain dragging on the ground underneath the truck. My suggestion is that you take a rubber mallet and climb under your truck and start LIGHTLY hitting things to see if you can replicate the sound. It would be easier if you had someone in the driverseat that knew what to listen for. This is probably how the dealership will try and identify the noise.
Free and clear of anything dragging for sure. This morning it’s still a mystery and very much still exists. Tried the rubber mallet but couldn’t ID anything that gives or is loose. She Idles normally no sound no rattle. If I give her gas in park I get nothing either. Only once we start going that sound is back. Headed to the dealer in the afternoon. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
Gen2Boost

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you jack up the rear end onto jack stands and put into drive and let it idle and see if the sound is still there ?
Will give it a go shortly after work. Dealer told me to bring her in tomorrow. You have an inkling of what it might be? I initially thought there was something flapping at speed but when I was able to take her out later at night when it was quiet and I could go slow and easy it was definitely metal. I’ll keep you posted thank you again.

OP
OP
Gen2Boost

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found the issue: IWE… and even a NHTSA service advisory to go along with it.

Thanks to the YouTube video where the exact same sound was duplicated titled “2019 F150 IWE Grinding” (fast forward to 1:15). Straight to the dealer she goes!

Attachments

• F1AEF1DA-0A43-4B55-AB8E-B83F559756C7.png
    F1AEF1DA-0A43-4B55-AB8E-B83F559756C7.png
    312.4 KB · Views: 22

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you get a chance, put it in 4hi or 4A and see if it goes away. It should. Only issue is if the iwe or hub has been chewed up it won’t engage properly.