Another one! Front End Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, I know another thread about a gen1 front end rebuild Ill try to keep it short.

I have a 2013 SCAB with 240,000 kms

End goal of build, eliminate the front end clunking, refresh old tired parts to make a tight, reliable daily driver. I'd like to eliminate some of the bump steer, but not sure if the SVC or RPG tie rods are in the cards right now. Primary focus is on the front end, rear leafs will come another time.

Would like to say I'll take this offroad at some point for some trail riding, but no guarantees lol

I have bought the following:
OEM replacement Fox Shocks Part number ASH24542 and ASH12262 (SCAB specific)
Eibach springs - E30-35-042-01-20
Shock mounts x 2 - AL3Z-18A099-A
Upper insulators x 2 - 7L1Z-5415-A
Mounting brackets x 2 - AL3Z-18183-A
Sway bar links x 2 - AL3Z-5K483-A

Front lower ball joint was replaced recently already with a MOOG part.

So now Im looking at the UCA's. Is there a upgraded OEM+ UCA that is not $1500-2000? Or should I just go OEM and call it day?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"I might take it offroad one day" ? Stick with stock OEM upper control arms, they are cheap and are durable. I have stock UCA's still and about same mileage as you and go offroad, so... I have RPG tie rods, only disadvantage is keeping up on the dry lube for the joints, if you don't want them to wear out. Mine have been on for 6ish years now. Sounds like a good rebuild list you have. Post pics as the work is getting done or the parts sitting around.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I might take it offroad one day" ? Stick with stock OEM upper control arms, they are cheap and are durable. I have stock UCA's still and about same mileage as you and go offroad, so... I have RPG tie rods, only disadvantage is keeping up on the dry lube for the joints, if you don't want them to wear out. Mine have been on for 6ish years now. Sounds like a good rebuild list you have. Post pics as the work is getting done or the parts sitting around.

Ill get them together for snap once the other part of my order arrives!
Im sure OEM UCA's are good enough as it was designed for the Raptor specifically. I do want to get this thing off the pavement at some point, just need some peeps to go with!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ill get them together for snap once the other part of my order arrives!
Im sure OEM UCA's are good enough as it was designed for the Raptor specifically. I do want to get this thing off the pavement at some point, just need some peeps to go with!
If you are not going long travel, then aftermarket controls arms are basically bling in my books, nothing wrong with that either though, I like pretty stuff.

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ordered up the OEM UCA's, got em for under $200 each.

Just totalled up my suspension rebuild here and will probably end up somewhere near the $6K mark after all is said and done :oops:
I went on rock auto for both my UCA. Ordered new nuts and bolts too. Less than $100 per side.

Attachments

• 1362010A-8DAC-42F5-94BC-1762B65295B9.png
    1362010A-8DAC-42F5-94BC-1762B65295B9.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 73B7F873-3AC0-4E29-805B-CABBFB665ED1.png
    73B7F873-3AC0-4E29-805B-CABBFB665ED1.png
    364.3 KB · Views: 29

Jeff550

Reaction score
The shims are not a wear item and are not needed.

Forged offroad has the complete strut mounts with hardware for future reference.
Also, should look into shock rebuilds. same you a bunch of $$.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shims are not a wear item and are not needed.

Forged offroad has the complete strut mounts with hardware for future reference.
Also, should look into shock rebuilds. same you a bunch of $$.

with the heavy rust on my truck, i decided to replace as much as I could.

I looked into a rebuild but the only local shop that can starts their pricing at $250/shock, which is ridiculous to me. I bought a new set from Rock for $2k CAD shipped to my door, plus would you really want to pay that much rebuild these?

I might just try to rebuild these myself and get them recoated or something. But I’ll have a nice fresh set in the meantime.

B726B2F8-AD79-44E2-8FF2-FCFBD25E3AC6.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff550

Reaction score
with the heavy rust on my truck, i decided to replace as much as I could.

I looked into a rebuild but the only local shop that can starts their pricing at $250/shock, which is ridiculous to me. I bought a new set from Rock for $2k CAD shipped to my door, plus would you really want to pay that much rebuild these?

I might just try to rebuild these myself and get them recoated or something. But I’ll have a nice fresh set in the meantime.

View attachment 335828
Those things are extremely bad. We have a refinish process but the corers of the resi and the aluminum cap may be shot when you start tearing into those things.