Another one! Front End Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Popper864

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I know another thread about a gen1 front end rebuild Ill try to keep it short.

I have a 2013 SCAB with 240,000 kms

End goal of build, eliminate the front end clunking, refresh old tired parts to make a tight, reliable daily driver. I'd like to eliminate some of the bump steer, but not sure if the SVC or RPG tie rods are in the cards right now. Primary focus is on the front end, rear leafs will come another time.

Would like to say I'll take this offroad at some point for some trail riding, but no guarantees lol

I have bought the following:
OEM replacement Fox Shocks Part number ASH24542 and ASH12262 (SCAB specific)
Eibach springs - E30-35-042-01-20
Shock mounts x 2 - AL3Z-18A099-A
Upper insulators x 2 - 7L1Z-5415-A
Mounting brackets x 2 - AL3Z-18183-A
Sway bar links x 2 - AL3Z-5K483-A

Front lower ball joint was replaced recently already with a MOOG part.

So now Im looking at the UCA's. Is there a upgraded OEM+ UCA that is not $1500-2000? Or should I just go OEM and call it day?
Following... Any update on front end clunk after replacing parts??? Im in similar situation with front end clunk and bump steer. Rebuilt all shocks by TSW. All new tie rods, New lower ball joints, new sway bar stabilizer links, and new wheel hubs. Still searching for clunk......:emotions122:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Following... Any update on front end clunk after replacing parts??? Im in similar situation with front end clunk and bump steer. Rebuilt all shocks by TSW. All new tie rods, New lower ball joints, new sway bar stabilizer links, and new wheel hubs. Still searching for clunk......:emotions122:
Does it clunk when you go over a bump or when you turn a corner? Over a bump could be your lower shock bolt isn't torqued to 425ftlbs, around a corner could be iwe engaging/disengaging and/or cv axle binding.

Popper864

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it clunk when you go over a bump or when you turn a corner? Over a bump could be your lower shock bolt isn't torqued to 425ftlbs, around a corner could be iwe engaging/disengaging and/or cv axle binding.
Just over smaller bumps at lower speeds when its most noticeable. (driving straight) That lower shock bolt was the first thing I checked and got my local shop to torque prior to replacing parts.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely support the Wool Wax / Fluid Film recommendation. I’ve been spraying a coat on 2-3 times a year and it works some magic against preventing corrosion. View attachment 347882
Yup been doing this for 4 years now. In the summer I coat them with fluid film, and in winter I smother the underside and wheel wells and absolutely no rust/corrosion anywhere

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple of different threads pointing out how close the tolerances are between the very bottom of the front shock and the lower control arm mounting point. Some can see rubbing and feel that that a clunk is coming from there…. I didn’t see anything on mine though. But like most have stated, there are several points of failure that could all be contributing to the clunk. I’ve come to terms with telling my self, I’ve replaced upper/lower ball joints and bushings , shocks rebuilt, upper shock mounts replaced, sway bar links replaced. And after all of those new serviced parts, if there is still a clunk it’s just meant to be …..

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just over smaller bumps at lower speeds when its most noticeable. (driving straight) That lower shock bolt was the first thing I checked and got my local shop to torque prior to replacing parts.
check the shock shaft nut on the top of the hat. mine was clunking and rattling at slow speed over bumps and found the nut was super loose on top.

Popper864

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the shock shaft nut on the top of the hat. mine was clunking and rattling at slow speed over bumps and found the nut was super loose on top.
I hope that is the case. I will check it out this weekend and get back to you. Thanks for the all the suggestions.