Another 'Looking To Buy' Raptor Thread (With Questions)

Should I Go With A Gen 1 or Gen 2?

• Gen 1

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Raptor (and my first truck purchase ever) around this time next year when the lease is up. I'm not sure which Gen I should be considering based on my budget though since prices seem to be all over the place on the Gen 1's. It's also so early I'm not sure what to expect Gen 2's to be at around this time next year?

I was hoping if I provided some information you might be able to help point me in the right direction? I'll start by saying the reason I am considering a Raptor is the looks. I don't want a plain F150 even if I lift it, etc. I love the stance of the Raptor and how aggressive and special it looks.

- Condition: I want to find one in excellent used condition.

- Use: It will be my daily driver and I'll likely rarely (if ever) take it off-road. Definitely nothing serious.

- Engine: I have read here that the 6.2 gets better MPG. Is that true?

- Miles: Negotiable BUT the lower the better obviously.

- Budget: I'm trying to spend between $30,000 and $40,000.

- Color: I want a loud color (Orange, Red, Blue).

- Interior: I've seen Gen 1's I believe with orange or blue interior accents on the dash. The seats also seem to have the same color to them on the leather from what I remember and the stitching? Do the Gen 2's have anything like this too or no?

- Exterior Styling: I love the styling of the Gen 2 now that I've seen one in person. It's less boxy and really stands out especially from the rear.

- Infotainment Tech: I know the Gen 2 has a newer version of SYNC but what is the best you can get upgraded too in the Gen 1? Do the 15 and newer models have Apple Carplay and SYNC3?

- Exhaust Note: Is it true that the Gen 1 stock (both 5.7 and 6.2) both have a louder exhaust note than the Gen 2?

- Used Pricing: Would it be difficult to find a Gen 2 Used for under $40K in July 2020?

- Years To Avoid: Are there any years I should avoid in the Gen 1 range? Basically did anything change and/or get upgraded during that entire run or is a 2012 the same as say a 2014 or 2015?

Sorry for 80,000 questions and a ton of information. My wife is sick of hearing me talk about them :)

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

First things first: if you’re even thinking about it and decided you want one, make it happen.

The 2017+ gets better mileage all around, but... Towing, and things even out. I’ve gotten 20.5 in and around Outer Banks (everyone’s on island time). 17-18 is more easily achievable with some tom foolery and mixed driving.

Interior: 2017+ have the optional orange accent and optional carbon fiber interior accents. I have neither, and I like it just fine.

Not sure about what sync versions are 2010-2014 compatible. Car play and sync3 are standard on the ‘17+ Raptors, not sure when that came into the F150 lineup though.

2014 and earlier trucks had a loud exhaust. The 2017+ is pretty stealthy until or unless you start ******** with the exhaust.

Price wise, I think 40k or under is a big ask for a 2nd gen Rap.

the very first Raps had the 5.4 V8, and very soon after that was supplanted with the 6.2 V8. I think there was also a change to the frame late in the model run (?) due to some reports of a defect of sorts. 2017&2018 are the same except color and where the engine was assembled. 2019 got the live valve shocks.

good luck!

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Raptor (and my first truck purchase ever) around this time next year when the lease is up. I'm not sure which Gen I should be considering based on my budget though since prices seem to be all over the place on the Gen 1's. It's also so early I'm not sure what to expect Gen 2's to be at around this time next year?

I was hoping if I provided some information you might be able to help point me in the right direction? I'll start by saying the reason I am considering a Raptor is the looks. I don't want a plain F150 even if I lift it, etc. I love the stance of the Raptor and how aggressive and special it looks.

- Use: It will be my daily driver and I'll likely rarely (if ever) take it off-road. Definitely nothing serious.

- Engine: I have read here that the 6.2 gets better MPG. Is that true? They both get same mileage - 16-17mpg.

- Budget: I'm trying to spend between $30,000 and $40,000. This is gen1 money and will get you something loaded under 60k miles.

- Interior: I've seen Gen 1's I believe with orange or blue interior accents on the dash. The seats also seem to have the same color to them on the leather from what I remember and the stitching? Do the Gen 2's have anything like this too or no?

- Exterior Styling: I love the styling of the Gen 2 now that I've seen one in person. It's less boxy and really stands out especially from the rear.

- Infotainment Tech: I know the Gen 2 has a newer version of SYNC but what is the best you can get upgraded too in the Gen 1? Do the 15 and newer models have Apple Carplay and SYNC3? Gen1 sync in 13/14 works fine. No apple car play I think.

- Exhaust Note: Is it true that the Gen 1 stock (both 5.7 and 6.2) both have a louder exhaust note than the Gen 2? Yes, the gen1 exhaust sound is deeper... 2 extra cylinders. The gen2 is somewhat quiet from factory because any louder and most won't like it and deter buyers. Also, it was not a 5.7 - it was a 5.4.

- Used Pricing: Would it be difficult to find a Gen 2 Used for under $40K in July 2020? If Ford does go back to the V8 (nobody knows, but heavy speculation they will), then yes, you will find gen2 at that price.

- Years To Avoid: Are there any years I should avoid in the Gen 1 range? Basically did anything change and/or get upgraded during that entire run or is a 2012 the same as say a 2014 or 2015? In 10/11, there was the 5.4. 6.2 option in 11 I think. 12-14 all 6.2. 13/14 got HID headlights and updated sync/nav. Also had beadlocks. The 14 also had a special addition... Just interior accents.

Sorry for 80,000 questions and a ton of information. My wife is sick of hearing me talk about them :)

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
My Gen 1 averaged 13 mpg. My Gen 2 averages 16.

Ford upgraded the frame strength in the Gen1 Circa '12 (from memory).

I doubt you will get a decent Gen2 for 40. You'll need $50k at least to get into a decent one from what I have seen so far. IMO you would need a major event such as a new v8 raptor for under $70k base in order to get that pricing in the next 6 mo. Edit: just saw you said July 2020 not '19. Might be possible if you wait another year.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can get a pretty nice gen 1 in your budget. If you want it loud go with a gen 1 for sure, the v6 will never make the noises the V8s do, the V8 will not get the fuel economy the V6 does.

Loud color? Go molten orange, I think it was only available the first two years.

If the truck has over 30k budget an extra $1000 or so to have the shocks rebuilt and do any other maintenance items.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score

You can get a pretty nice gen 1 in your budget. If you want it loud go with a gen 1 for sure, the v6 will never make the noises the V8s do, the V8 will not get the fuel economy the V6 does.

Loud color? Go molten orange, I think it was only available the first two years.

If the truck has over 30k budget an extra $1000 or so to have the shocks rebuilt and do any other maintenance items.

Thanks. Did the years with Molton Orange have an interior package option that included color plastic dash pieces? I've seen them before and can't figure out what years those were available on and/or what colors. I know I've seen an orange or red one at one point as well as blue.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

- Engine: I have read here that the 6.2 gets better MPG. Is that true?

- Budget: I'm trying to spend between $30,000 and $40,000.

- Infotainment Tech: I know the Gen 2 has a newer version of SYNC but what is the best you can get upgraded too in the Gen 1? Do the 15 and newer models have Apple Carplay and SYNC3?

- Exhaust Note: Is it true that the Gen 1 stock (both 5.7 and 6.2) both have a louder exhaust note than the Gen 2?

- Used Pricing: Would it be difficult to find a Gen 2 Used for under $40K in July 2020?

- Years To Avoid: Are there any years I should avoid in the Gen 1 range? Basically did anything change and/or get upgraded during that entire run or is a 2012 the same as say a 2014 or 2015?

yeah there's a lot of questions in there lol.

if you want a Gen 2, look to spend 55K avg (2017s i've seen forsale), you can find a decent Gen 1 in the 30 to 40 grand range. remember Raptors hold 80% of their value after 5 years of ownership.. prices barely come down.

if you're looking for a Raptor as a street queen, you really need to think about what it's like to live with every day. do you plan on using this as just a glorified car? because fyi it's not cheap to run and at times a pain. I've owned every truck under the sun since 1990 and I have a second truck because my Raptor can't pull my trailers, haul large amounts of material in the box, etc which is fine for me because I have the means to have a few vehicles but I wouldn't dare use it as an actual work truck.

My Gen 1 6.2 on 37s gets 13.5 mpg, 15 on 35s.

2013 got the frame update, 2010 to 2012 are the same.

The Orange interior was on the Molten Orange exterior, the blue you're thinking about was offered in 2012 and 2013.. my truck has it.. it's ******* shit. fades super easy, it's not worth hunting for.

There are threads on here about guys doing Sync 3 swaps to their gen 1 for dirt cheap.

I bought a 13 because I like center dash layout better than the 2010-2012, sync 2 was new in the 13s, projector headlights and updated frame.. Had a 17 EB Raptor and 13 EB.. I'm way happier with my good old Gen 1. she's awesome.

good luck with your search!

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
yeah there's a lot of questions in there lol.

if you're looking for a Raptor as a street queen, you really need to think about what it's like to live with every day. do you plan on using this as just a glorified car? because fyi it's not cheap to run and at times a pain. I've owned every truck under the sun since 1990 and I have a second truck because my Raptor can't pull my trailers, haul large amounts of material in the box, etc which is fine for me because I have the means to have a few vehicles but I wouldn't dare use it as an actual work truck.

My Gen 1 6.2 on 37s gets 13.5 mpg, 15 on 35s.

2013 got the frame update, 2010 to 2012 are the same.

The Orange interior was on the Molten Orange exterior, the blue you're thinking about was offered in 2012 and 2013.. my truck has it.. it's ******* shit. fades super easy, it's not worth hunting for.

There are threads on here about guys doing Sync 3 swaps to their gen 1 for dirt cheap.

I bought a 13 because I like center dash layout better than the 2010-2012, sync 2 was new in the 13s, projector headlights and updated frame.. Had a 17 EB Raptor and 13 EB.. I'm way happier with my good old Gen 1. she's awesome.

good luck with your search!

Answers Below:

The Raptor will become as you said a 'glorified street queen'. I don't have a need to pull anything either. The most hauling I'll be doing is random large items from the store if they fit or my mountain bike which I'll attach with a tow hitch bike rack.

I know the gas sucks. My Civic Hatchback lease gets 38MPG and I'm prepared for 13MPG. That's why price is key for me. Oddly enough the insurance on a Gen 1 is the same as my Civic lease now so that's a wash at least. It's just the fuel that will cost me more (and the payment of course).

Your feedback on the colored interiors makes me feel sooo much better because it's rare to find one with them. Good to know they fade easily. I'll remote that from my search criteria then.

Regarding the dash layout … I wasn't aware the dash layout changed in the Gen 1 and 2013+ had SYNC3, projector headlights, and updated frame. Did anything else happen in later years beyond 2013 before the 2017 Gen 2 came out?

One curveball question for you that you didn't reply on … What's the maintenance cost on these? I read I need to rebuild the shocks every 70K or so but are there any other costs that come up I need to be aware of outside of oil changes and regular fluid flushes as recommended? Also, since you have a 2013 Gen 1 are you aware of what mileage these start to run into expensive repairs or issues? I'm so used to 100,000 miles on an American made car is a lot so seeing Raptors with 75,000 miles is even scary knowing I'll have close to 200,000 when it's paid off most likely. Any advice on mileage?

Thank you so much for all of the replies! You've helped a lot.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah in 13 the dash changed and Ford introduced sync 2. Sync 3 fits right it no problem, I'll be doing the upgrade soon myself.

The maintenance is like any other F150 and not overly expensive, but parts are. The rear end, front diff, suspension are all expensive to replace. My fox shocks lasted just 45k miles before needing a rebuild, a year later and 8k miles later they're leaking again.

Milage is relative in regards to failure, each truck is used differently which is no surprise. If I were you I wouldn't be too worried about the mileage, these gen 1s are super reliable. My work truck has the same engine and I beat that thing, not a single issue in 80k miles.

As for gas mileage.. it can suck but it's not bad. You learn how to drive it and how to become economical. My gen 1 gets slightly worse than my 2 EBs, you're not saving that much money between 13.5 and 15 mpg.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any fading on the Orange interior. However there are a few chips in it from the PO, and repair is pretty much impossible. Definitely a special place to be though.