Another Lemon goes back to Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Never ceases to amaze me how some threads go nowhere, some continue to provide updated info or pics for years, and others just spiral into crap...Wild guess which one this is becoming. :poop:
He's cross posted the same steering gear complaint 6 times across various subsections this morning.

Posts show abuse and modifications...not surprising the steering gear eventually failed.

The first time I took my truck off road, I almost ripped the frame off at both the front and rear A Arm mounting points at the frame. Jump it high 5ft or more and the frame drags...all other kits are 3/16"..see crazy house kustoms

Super PIMP!! Enjoy the ride. What is Screw? If you hammer the truck hard you will want to purchase the Crazy House Frame kit (full) 1/4" steel, and you won't break your A Arm attachment points! Highly recommend

Up front I have SVC Upper control arms. Eihbock (sp) 2 inch+- on the stock fox struts with the Crazy House stage 2 brackets *(nice). The back is all stock. I am getting the Deaver Normal springs (with a frame brace w hydraulic bumps (KING). The truck sits level now. Do I get the stock or +1" ("+3")??
I ultimately want the frame rack w 4.0 shocks through the bed.. And KING front struts w extra shock..
I would like the best travel in the rear w my Deaver springs, but don't want the back end lifted up more than .5" from now, (unless I can compensate w the KINGS up front..
Thanks for your help!

owned and abused for 2 years now.

The Transmission was burned up before I bought it...Fluid was 4 quarts low and stinky..15k miles. These are bad Transmissions. There are many class action lawsuits...yes I won't do it again. BTW, the tuning fixes the transmission problems
Thanks

I dislike my slip and sometimes loss of gear between 7 and 8. I have a tune. The Ford ECU Bulliten has not been applied. Does anyone who has had Ford Reflash with the Service Bulliten continue to have Transmission Shifting and Bobbling? Im so sick of driving in M past 5th gear...LOL...and when manually shifting it raises 500 between 7 and 8..Thanks Y'all!!!

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I been away from the forum for a looooong time because due the issues with my truck I lost any interest in it. I should say thanks to ford I lost any interest in it.
I had a bunch of rattling noise from the driver front hub. Occasionally the hub would engage causing the car to steer or slid.
The engine would make rattling sound on cold start.
Electrical and infotainment too long to list.
driving mode would not change.
After many visit to different dealers I gave up.
One thing a mechanic told me during my visits is that Ford doesn't pay them enough to diagnose and repair when weird stuff happens. True or not I couldn't deal with it no more. Even if I loved every single drive, until thigs got weird.
Now Ford is buying it back and I am buying an amazing 2005 Ford Excursion!
In my case until I filed legal paper against ford they didn't care at all. After they were ready to buy it back no question asked.
That my 2 cents.

Wow, sorry you went through all that and cool how you are going from a newer Raptor to a 2005 Excursion. I love me some Excursion but the technology change is a big one. :)

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ford Tech one! I agree with you and really wasnt trying to make a social drama.

Information requested:

2 inch springs on stock Fox shocks, stock tire size, Upper control arms are aftermarket and I have the slot delete (alignment) kit. I bought the truck used with 15k miles. The rack has been replaced once before. I hammer the truck off road, but even before hammering I would notice a creek in the front end and being a mechnic it drove me crazy. Aprox. 6 months ago the steering assist would not assist intermittantly with no codes. Yesterday it was barly assisting and the truck became hard to drive. I took every connector apart that is related to the system and the thing started working again, however it was really creaking a lot. A friend dropped by my shop and I asked him to turn the steering wheel from side to side...He turned it full stop left and the rack made a loud bang rendering it inoperable. Codes are charging system, Hill decent, Steering x 2, I think that is it. I see online that most of the failures are the belt inside, not sure what happened to mine.

Thank you for the help and information!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Ford Tech one! I agree with you and really wasnt trying to make a social drama.

Information requested:

2 inch springs on stock Fox shocks, stock tire size, Upper control arms are aftermarket and I have the slot delete (alignment) kit. I bought the truck used with 15k miles. The rack has been replaced once before. I hammer the truck off road, but even before hammering I would notice a creek in the front end and being a mechnic it drove me crazy. Aprox. 6 months ago the steering assist would not assist intermittantly with no codes. Yesterday it was barly assisting and the truck became hard to drive. I took every connector apart that is related to the system and the thing started working again, however it was really creaking a lot. A friend dropped by my shop and I asked him to turn the steering wheel from side to side...He turned it full stop left and the rack made a loud bang rendering it inoperable. Codes are charging system, Hill decent, Steering x 2, I think that is it. I see online that most of the failures are the belt inside, not sure what happened to mine.

Thank you for the help and information!
No problem. Before you replace the steering gear I’d recommend ensuring there is no harness damage. If the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) receives low voltage, it will intermittently power down. If you have ForScan you may be able to monitor the PSCM V_Batt PID in DataLogger.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. Before you replace the steering gear I’d recommend ensuring there is no harness damage. If the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) receives low voltage, it will intermittently power down. If you have ForScan you may be able to monitor the PSCM V_Batt PID in DataLogger.

Mikee Martin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He literally said the driver side hub would rattle and intermittently engage. There’s a detailed pinpoint test to easily diagnose that issue. He also said he had a rattle noise on cold start. There’s a TSB for that symptom. I didn’t assume anything, I replied based on what he stated.

You don't even know what a phaser is, but you’re here spewing your nonsense like you have the slightest clue about vehicles in general. But yea, I have “no real world experience” lol. You’re a joke.
I was wondering if you still believe that these Gen 2 Ford Raptors are not prone to having many inherent problems? It seems to me that completely stock trucks, "mall crawlers" are dumping parts and causing many loyal Ford and first time Ford owners to get a really bad experience due to the many inherent problems the trucks come with and the trouble Ford has getting them repaired correctly? I have trouble selling mine because I can't find anything as fun to drive, but worry about long term problems, and or reoccurring problems. Tell me the updates to the cam phasers, transmission and engine is able to stay reliable or at least affordable to keep. You see real world situations as a Ford Tech and I like to get input from multiple parties.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if you still believe that these Gen 2 Ford Raptors are not prone to having many inherent problems? It seems to me that completely stock trucks, "mall crawlers" are dumping parts and causing many loyal Ford and first time Ford owners to get a really bad experience due to the many inherent problems the trucks come with and the trouble Ford has getting them repaired correctly? I have trouble selling mine because I can't find anything as fun to drive, but worry about long term problems, and or reoccurring problems. Tell me the updates to the cam phasers, transmission and engine is able to stay reliable or at least affordable to keep. You see real world situations as a Ford Tech and I like to get input from multiple parties.
You’re only going to see posts from people that have a concern. Nobody posts to say “engine still sounds normal today” or “great news, no recalls this month”. Ford sells close to a million F-Series a year; there are tens of millions of them on the road. As with any mass produced product, there will be a certain percentage of defects.

I’m not sure what “inherent problems” you’re referring too, but the most common ones that I’m familiar with have all been addressed with a TSB or recall. The cam phaser issue was resolved through a new calibration and updated parts for those that had an issue.