Another Lemon goes back to Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but you posted this "We aren't talking about maintenance, we are talking about broken things on a new car that are covered under warranty. So warranty doesn't matter? It's all buyer beware? You buy a vehicle, with warranty, there's a fault with it. And it's your fault the dealer can't fix it? You just take in on the chin?"

OP has a 2018. I didn't catch the mileage, but this is a potentially 4 year old truck if built in 2017. Your question is a topic in and of itself, not related to the OP post.
I have a 2018 that’s still under warranty. Hardly off topic unless you’re confused.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spent hours repeating my concerns to the dealers employees to solve the problems. I got to the point that I spoke in person and over the phone with the dealership and Ford customer service for over 5 hours in 10 days. I have a family and a life so I was no longer willing to waste my time. I felt like I had to convince them there was a problem to be resolved and only after they would take action.
I know the vehicle has defects so I would not sell it, I think is a cheap move. I try to respect others.
I was interested in the Phoenix system because I was getting frustrated with the SYNC, but I never actually got to the point to install it.
I think the dealers should get more responsibility for their action or inaction.
They do- the more complaints they get the fewer customers they retain & eventually they may be SOL & go outta biz

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s where I was going. Ford even rates it’s own service departments. President’s Award, things like that. I know some dealers are rated to “certify” buybacks for resell (or not) and these are gold-star rated. For instance Midway Truck Center in KC is gold star rated and they get buybacks to verify and validate and repair for Ford.
No one deserves bad service on an expensive car. Just don’t put yourself in that situation in the first place. Give yourself a chance and try to use a dealer that takes good care of the customer and values a good reputation.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He literally said the driver side hub would rattle and intermittently engage. There’s a detailed pinpoint test to easily diagnose that issue. He also said he had a rattle noise on cold start. There’s a TSB for that symptom. I didn’t assume anything, I replied based on what he stated.

You don't even know what a phaser is, but you’re here spewing your nonsense like you have the slightest clue about vehicles in general. But yea, I have “no real world experience” lol. You’re a joke.
FORD TECH ONE;

The problem is broad. The 2017 Raptor I own is awesome when it works. I don't like to bash Ford, Ford Dealers, or people in general. I don't like to be bashed. But, my truck and most other Raptors have many of these inherent problems. My transmission failed at 20k. I have an Associates Degree in Automotive and Diesel Technology, been ******* certified (ASE) Master technician for 20+ years and own Seaside Superbikes (Motorcycle Dealer) in Monterey CA (18 years in business) Google it,, 5 star. The fact is that the Japanese trucks don't **** up like my truck does. The ******* steering rack blew up today. After Ford and yes all of the Superior Ford people I could possibly contact it still took 6 plus months to replace my transmission. If I could do that over, I would have fixed it myself. They didn't give a **** about anything but saving Ford money. They tried installing 4 valve bodies. I explained that the transmission fluid had smelled burnt for at least 5k miles before it ****. I told them that it would pop into nuetral on the highway at 70MPH and grab any gear it could causing the worst mechanical sound you can imagine and it was time to replace the transmission. This was about 1 month in. 6 months later I got my truck back. I was charged $500 due to the Crazy house kustoms brackets which made it harder for them to remove and install the transmission.. What a joke. I looked at the truck with the service writer and the whole rear of the $80,000 vehicle was covered in transmission fluid. The powdercoat on my brackets were slammed on by a ball peen hammer. I was so pissed, exhausted from the whole ordeal and worried I was going to go Postal I bailed out with the truck. Got to my shop and spent 4 hours literally pressure washing the truck from the transmission to the tailgate. I drove home and the garage floor was splashed with ATF leaking from the output shaft seal on the transfer case. I called the service manager and pleaded for an output shaft seal and my $500 back. He said he needed to see the vehicle and then he would decide what to do. I wasted my afternoon looking at the truck with the SM. No money back. Free output shaft seal ordered. Install myself, cause of failure was rusted chrome on the driveshaft, due to all of my parts sitting in the bed of the truck outside 1 mile from the ocean.

This is why people sue the **** out of Ford.

I would really love to hear what you would do with a 2017 Raptor with 35k miles and a smoked out steering rack...yes it is the rack, for sure, yes I have checked every electrical connection to the rack and put dielectric grease on each and every plug. The rack started clunking about the same time I got the truck back 8 months ago from the transmission fiasco. Please, Seriously, help me. I need a new updated rack. I need to either (preferably) install it myself, or have it installed in a reasonable amount of time without incurring more problems. I am happy to talk about it with anyone from Ford including yourself, who can fix the trouble.

I want the v8 raptor, when it comes out. The truck I own today sits patiently in front of my shop, undrivable. Every light on the dash including you know is flashing and the steering rack is rock hard. Let's test out how a professional handles this one!
I honestly appreciate Ford Tech One as you seem to be able to handle much more than I ever can.

Thanks Ford Tech One!

MIKEE MARTIN SEASIDE SUPERBIKES 831 760 2701

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FORD TECH ONE;

The problem is broad. The 2017 Raptor I own is awesome when it works. I don't like to bash Ford, Ford Dealers, or people in general. I don't like to be bashed. But, my truck and most other Raptors have many of these inherent problems. My transmission failed at 20k. I have an Associates Degree in Automotive and Diesel Technology, been ******* certified (ASE) Master technician for 20+ years and own Seaside Superbikes (Motorcycle Dealer) in Monterey CA (18 years in business) Google it,, 5 star. The fact is that the Japanese trucks don't **** up like my truck does. The ******* steering rack blew up today. After Ford and yes all of the Superior Ford people I could possibly contact it still took 6 plus months to replace my transmission. If I could do that over, I would have fixed it myself. They didn't give a **** about anything but saving Ford money. They tried installing 4 valve bodies. I explained that the transmission fluid had smelled burnt for at least 5k miles before it ****. I told them that it would pop into nuetral on the highway at 70MPH and grab any gear it could causing the worst mechanical sound you can imagine and it was time to replace the transmission. This was about 1 month in. 6 months later I got my truck back. I was charged $500 due to the Crazy house kustoms brackets which made it harder for them to remove and install the transmission.. What a joke. I looked at the truck with the service writer and the whole rear of the $80,000 vehicle was covered in transmission fluid. The powdercoat on my brackets were slammed on by a ball peen hammer. I was so pissed, exhausted from the whole ordeal and worried I was going to go Postal I bailed out with the truck. Got to my shop and spent 4 hours literally pressure washing the truck from the transmission to the tailgate. I drove home and the garage floor was splashed with ATF leaking from the output shaft seal on the transfer case. I called the service manager and pleaded for an output shaft seal and my $500 back. He said he needed to see the vehicle and then he would decide what to do. I wasted my afternoon looking at the truck with the SM. No money back. Free output shaft seal ordered. Install myself, cause of failure was rusted chrome on the driveshaft, due to all of my parts sitting in the bed of the truck outside 1 mile from the ocean.

I would really love to hear what you would do with a 2017 Raptor with 35k miles and a smoked out steering rack...yes it is the rack, for sure, yes I have checked every electrical connection to the rack and put dielectric grease on each and every plug. The rack started clunking about the same time I got the truck back 8 months ago from the transmission fiasco. Please, Seriously, help me. I need a new updated rack. I need to either (preferably) install it myself, or have it installed in a reasonable amount of time without incurring more problems. I am happy to talk about it with anyone from Ford including yourself, who can fix the trouble.

I want the v8 raptor, when it comes out. The truck I own today sits patiently in front of my shop, undrivable. Every light on the dash including you know is flashing and the steering rack is rock hard. Let's test out how a professional handles this one!
I honestly appreciate Ford Tech One as you seem to be able to handle much more than I ever can.

Thanks Ford Tech One!

@FordTechOne

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FORD TECH ONE;

Thanks Ford Tech One!

Go on the “Japanese truck” forums and you’ll see the same type of things you’re posting. The Titan XD forum is a comedy show; I’d suggest you spend a few minutes there for a reality check. It’s baseless to make claims of widespread issues when there is no data to support that. That’s no different than saying there are no issues just because my truck hasn’t had any.

Dealers aren’t in the business of saving the manufacturer money. Quite the opposite actually. The negative experience you had with your brackets, driveshaft, etc is entirely based on the dealer. Ford as a manufacturer has zero control over that. As was mentioned, if aftermarket parts need to be removed, they need to be compensated for that time. Not sure what was involved in all that, but $500 seems like quite a lot.

I’d suggest bringing your concerns to the upper management of the dealership; GM or Dealer Principal. That is the only way to get a resolution. I would explain all of the issues clearly and voice your frustrations regarding the repeat concerns. I’d say the least they can do is give you your $500 back for all the trouble.

As far as the steering gear, what do you mean it “blew up”? EPAS gear failures are not common on these trucks. Is the truck at factory ride height with factory size tires? What DTCs does it show that you believe it’s condemned?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealers aren’t in the business of saving the manufacturer money. Quite the opposite actually. The negative experience you had with your brackets, driveshaft, etc is entirely based on the dealer. Ford as a manufacturer has zero control over that. As was mentioned, if aftermarket parts need to be removed, they need to be compensated for that time. Not sure what was involved in all that, but $500 seems like quite a lot.

Ford has zero control over that because they've ceded control to the unions