Another Ford service dept “gift”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
smgilles

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a quick picture of the check valve and connections coming off the brake booster? I can't even find the vacuum line that comes off the check valve. It must still be at the dealership. F...ing monkeys.

Is there some new work through or TSB that would make the tech not replace it the vacuum line
They performed the wrong TSB. The TSB to cap the vacuum line states the following:

View attachment 164754

What year is the truck?

I was just getting ready to tag you @FordTechOne, because I was going to ask if there was a new work through or something.

It's a 2017.

OP
OP
smgilles

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181917-0001.pdf

Here's what FordTechOne was referring too. As I figured, in this configuration the IWE are engaged at all times. This is for TOD transfer cases.

I assume you defeat the purpose of the drive modes selections when this IWE configuration is used vs the TSB used to address Raptors, which is replacing bad check valves, solenoids, actuators, etc.

I looked at the work order sheet and they actually wrote they replaced a bad solenoid, there was no mention of this TSB being performed, hence my complete ignorance to the configuration.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181917-0001.pdf

Here's what FordTechOne was referring too. As I figured, in this configuration the IWE are engaged at all times. This is for TOD transfer cases.

I assume you defeat the purpose of the drive modes selections when this IWE configuration is used vs the TSB used to address Raptors, which is replacing bad check valves, solenoids, actuators, etc.

I looked at the work order sheet and they actually wrote they replaced a bad solenoid, there was no mention of this TSB being performed, hence my complete ignorance to the configuration.

The drive mode selections are unaffected regardless of model. The TSB for specific TOD applications permanently engages the IWEs, but does not affect 2WD/4WD engagement or any other aspect of vehicle drive mode/operation. Ford is the only OEM to use IWEs, which are designed to benefit the consumer in terms of increased fuel economy and reduced wear. However, with TOD, the drag from the transfer case clutch results in the front components spinning much of the time regardless, so it’s not that detrimental to just leave the IWEs engaged in standard applications.

Even though Raptor uses TOD, it uses a unique transfer case, axles, gearing, etc., so the TSB does not apply. The dealer should perform the diagnostic procedure outline in the Workshop Manual to repair the system.

OP
OP
smgilles

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope fully they put another vacuum cap at other end of line they removed or you have a vacuum leak.

I had to put tape over it since I didn't have any caps. I bringing it back to them tomorrow for a "definitive" repair. This one is on their dime.

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went in for iwe intermittent grinding for the 4th time. This was done last week. I opened the hood today (should have double checked their work) and found this.

View attachment 164751

View attachment 164752
That’s funny because I am sitting here at a Ford service dept as I type this. I got my oil changed a few days ago and noticed a lot of oil on my garage floor. Not sure if they just left the skid plate full of oil or forgot to tighten the oil plug. I also hav a fomoto valve in my glovebox that I keep forgetting to let them install. Maybe I should do it myself ???

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Tools!!! I had an oil change last week and asked them to put on my Famoto valve for me. They idiots installed it, put everything back together and filled her up. They stood there and watched 6 quarts of synthetic oil flow out of the truck onto the ground. They didn't understand how a ball have worked. Tried to charge me for 12 quarts of oil. Service manager said that they had never seen this sort of contraption!! WTF! Idiots looked like a bunch of illegals in Ford shirts. Paid for 6. Done with Ford service!!!

When I took mine in for TSB 19-2232, they called me and asked what was that thing where the drain plug usually goes.

I told them it's call a Fumoto valve and it's just a ball valve, oh he stated that's right I've seen these on race cars, LOL!

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Ok, here’s my 2cents on the Dealership reliability issue. If you find a good one, treat them right because they seem to be the “Jewel in the Rufffff”
I’ve been using my dealership for 30+ years and have a “family like” relationship with them. I bring them donuts, food etc. They take care of 7 cars for me(kids, wife, etc.)
Do they make mistakes, oh yea, they are human. Loose drain plug-dumped 6qts at intersection for my wife. They took care of it though. The huge difference is WHAT THEY DO AFTER AN ERROR. Mine has always taken care of any problems that came up, to include issues that had to be elevated to the “Glass House” in Detroit.
On the other hand the dealership in Reno...I wouldn’t buy a F%#>king light bulb from those F%€#ing MORONS!!
Lastly when I bought my daughter a Dodge Charger (only because it was 1/2 price in the 08 economic Crash) I put a Ford ESP on it because ALL the Dodge dealerships in Vegas Suck Azzzzzz
I used to be able to change the fuel pump, adj the lifters etc. In my 79 F150, now I can’t even find them :( So I’m stuck relying on the Dealership or Juan’s Stop & Robbbb Auto. No offense ;)

Last edited: