Another F'n blend door motor bitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can say is GET that extended warantee, unless you can afford to laugh at the Raptor tax. I had 2 out of 4 blend door motors go out (changed all 4 of them) and then got a power steering leak too. And that meant pulling the dash out, Really Ford?? My wife's 07 Chrysler Pacifica has dual climate control and has worked like a charm since new, not so much on other issues, but they did get the blend doors right. Too bad Ford cant seem to find a good Chinese Blend door motor design. :flipthebird:

Bottom line - $2280.00 in parts and labor. Cost me $208.00 in deductible included paying extra for the other 2 motors. I have Mercury Group Platinum level extended warantee coverage, which the dealer said was a good policy and company to deal with. Guess they should know, they probably get a lot of service $$ from extended warantee companies. I dont get how the average Joe Schmoe can afford dealer service!

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did one by myself, wasn't bad, but was one of the easiest!

The main ones that go out are the drivers & passenger side temp control motors. One is easily accessed from behind the sync unit and the other can be accessed from below the dash. Fordtechmakuloco on You tube has some good videos on replacing them. But the one that went out that was the hard one was the motor that controls the vents, defrost, etc. I dont know how that one could be accessed without pulling the dash but there may be a way. Either way, the extended warantee paid for itself on this repair.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The main ones that go out are the drivers & passenger side temp control motors. One is easily accessed from behind the sync unit and the other can be accessed from below the dash. Fordtechmakuloco on You tube has some good videos on replacing them. But the one that went out that was the hard one was the motor that controls the vents, defrost, etc. I dont know how that one could be accessed without pulling the dash but there may be a way. Either way, the extended warantee paid for itself on this repair.
That's he one I did by myself, it's just beside the steering wheel on the right , you get at it by under the dash and contort your body a bit and cut your hands, but is very doable.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I had two go out on my truck awhile back, my buddy and I were able to pull the seats/console/dash, replace all of the stupid motors and get the dash back in, in about 6 hours and 4 beers each. It could have been worse and I'm glad I didn't pay the stealership to do it.

The issue as far as I can tell is the gears in those little motors are plastic and they aren't super durable. Basically the same material as the servos in my RC car. metal gears would have gone a long way to making those last the lifetime of the truck.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SO, if I have to pull the dash to do this, is there anything else that should be done while I'm there?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
SO, if I have to pull the dash to do this, is there anything else that should be done while I'm there?

I personally can't think of anything else to do back there except to just replace all the motors while you're at it. There's youtube tutorials for getting the dash loose, I'd definitely recommend that.

Also I'd reccomend a stock of ziplocs for parts bags and just tape stuff close to where it goes back in.

Here's a few pics so you can get an idea of what you're in for.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 197

ryan.bamford

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with driver side heat blowing cold but passenger heat is good. I have replaced the blend door right underneath the steering wheel and it's still blowing cold.. is there another one on the driver side further in the dash??