Another Dealership Screw Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d love info on how to do a clean oil change without dropping the skid. Minus use a valve. I just don’t want one. I know it’s prob easier 100% but I’d guess I’d want to hear from a Gen 1 or 2 owner that’s had one for 6 or so years before I put my faith behind the it.
I freakin Love my Fumoto. And I feel a lot better since there’s some protection for it with that small panel that covers it. Just did my second change and this was the first time I could use the Fumoto. Oil drain right into my container to empty at AutoZone.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read some found it easier to just remove the whole thing so that’s what I did the first time. Good thing because the filter was really really tight and it was nice to have the extra room. I just snug it myself so I’m sure the access panel would be just fine now. Are you able to fully clean the catch pan under the filter through the access panel?

Regardless, I’d probably still take the skids off. I like to be able to give everything visual once over and do a bolt check here and there. Feel it might give me a chance of catching any problems and doing a little cleaning while I’m under there.
Yeah my first change sucked @ss with that filter. But now with the Fumoto and my hand tightening of the filter my changes are easy peasy. I do however like your idea of inspecting.

And honestly after reading the ‘trick’ with the filter and letting it drain slowly, the catch pan underneath barely gets any oil on it. Very easy to wipe down thru the access hole in the skid.

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this goes without saying but be careful of who works on your truck. I always do my own oil changes/tire rotations because I like giving the truck a once over and don’t trust most dealerships.

Well… had the first oil change done at 2k miles at Galpin Ford so that it was on record and have done the next 2 myself. I drop the entire skid plate to access the filter and be able to look for any obvious problems.

Had the skid plate off this weekend and decided to clean it up and remove the oil filter access panel for the first time. No surprise that all 4 bolts were completely cross threaded and stripped!

Not the end of the world but disappointing that they screw up something so simple.
I’ve got a place I trust and I still take the access panels off myself. I also put anti-seize on all the skid plate and access panels bolts. I’ve watched places put the bolts in with an air ratchet and if they catch or don’t go, as others have said, they just up the torque, let ‘em spin and leave them. A little anti-seize is a life saver with those under side bolts that thread into U nuts, especially if you off road to any degree.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a place I trust and I still take the access panels off myself. I also put anti-seize on all the skid plate and access panels bolts. I’ve watched places put the bolts in with an air ratchet and if they catch or don’t go, as others have said, they just up the torque, let ‘em spin and leave them. A little anti-seize is a life saver with those under side bolts that thread into U nuts, especially if you off road to any degree.
If I caught some low life ******* doing that to my truck, I’d strip a tooth from his mouth.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear yours and so many issues...
I will share one of my only dealer service stories.
WAY back in 2000 I bought the only brand new vehicle I have owned ever.
It was a 2500HD Silverado.
Went to local dealer closest to home.
Had GM supplier pricing so would have been same $$$ anywhere back then.
Had so much trouble, so many defects, and so many issues that GM said free oil changes for life before it even needed the 1st one.
Went if for the first oil change and service, drove the few miles home, pulled into driveway and saw drips all over under truck.
Walk behind and the white truck and tailgate COVERED in oil spray from underneath.
MESS !!!
Truck had all the off road, plow prep, heavy duty packages that included skid plates all under.
Dealer drained ALL of the oil onto skid plates, refilled, and sent me out the door.
Truck was still brand new.
Solid white exterior, aluminum drive shaft, exhaust, everything covered in burnt drain oil.
One of MANY issues that ended up getting truck sent back to GM as a LEMON.
Even free wasn't worth going to those P.O.S. "mechanics".
Hopefully nobody ever has to experience all the stress and frustration like that.