Another dealer playing games

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill collwell Ford was decent enough from the start and was very helpful. I was on there list for approx 6/7 months and was up to submit an order for a 22.
Had a signed contract which stated I gave them a deposit and they would sell at msrp. They are in fact selling at msrp, but the owner decided he would negate any list and give the allocations to his friends in the area. I am getting my deposit back and the salesman was extremely apologetic.
While I understand it is ultimately the dealers business and they can do what they want. Why do they need to perpetuate the stereotype of being sneaky and untrustworthy?

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Well, the dealer is the owner and can do what they want. You may not like it and it sucks that a paid employee told you something, but buck stops and starts with owner of any business.

I never deal with floor people--go to the source and cut the BS (except for guys named Ward).

Buying cars or others things is about relationships. The higher the better chance you get what you want. So goes life--right or wrong.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the dealer is the owner and can do what they want. You may not like it and it sucks that a paid employee told you something, but buck stops and starts with owner of any business.

I never deal with floor people--go to the source and cut the BS (except for guys named Ward).

Buying cars or others things is about relationships. The higher the better chance you get what you want. So goes life--right or

Buying cars or others things is about relationships. The higher the better chance you get what you want. So goes life--right or wrong.

Depends on where you live. In Chicago, you just don’t walk in and say hey I want the owner because it does not happen unless you have purchased a lot of cars/trucks.

There are plenty of influential floor guys which get you the same treatment as they bump you up the hierarchy.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Wondering if you can sue them for breach of contract...
There is no breach contract. Someone left a deposit on their own will and stated (according to OP that they would sell at MSRP). I didn't see anything about guarantee of sale of x vehicle. Just a deposit (refunadable) and they would sell at MSRP. I'm sure they would...but they didn't sell him the car, so there is no breach. I would need to read 'contract' --but dealers are not dummies--they are covered in their contracts.

I'm not on their side--just into the facts.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Depends on where you live. In Chicago, you just don’t walk in and say hey I want the owner because it does not happen unless you have purchased a lot of cars/trucks.

There are plenty of influential floor guys which get you the same treatment as they bump you up the hierarchy.
I didn't say walk in--I said build a relationship. It takes work -- just like anything else in life. Some dealers will--some won't. Not rocket science--don't care where you live. The owner gets final say.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you can sue them for breach of contract...
Almost all of these agreements that people sign when putting a deposit down clearly state that it is not a contract. It goes the other way as well, if you decide you don't want it anymore they have to give you your money back. Consider it a gentlemen's handshake in writing.

OP
OP
LouK

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the dealers can do what they want, as stated in my original post, My only issue was the back and forth with words.
I should have also clarified that i was not just dealing with the salesman. I had originally talked with one of the floor managers who stated they had one individual handling all of the raptor orders and was compiling the list and deposits so there were no orders done out of turn.
No point in the breach of contract, I will just wait for my number to come up on the other lists I'm on.
Just wanted to share if anyone was looking at them because they are advertising at MSRP to be weary if they will pick you or one of the owners friends.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford needs to go the way of Tesla, all ordering done online. First come first serve. If you ordered and paid cash you should get yours at msrp first
Dealers are officially useless middle men who should be extinct. With the internet at our finger tips we know more about these vehicles than the salesmen. And probably know more about allocations and order processes than them as well. And the tactics they use to stay alive is very off putting