Another CA emissions question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ItsAMe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I’m looking out of state to purchase I’m running into the emissions research portion and info is scattershot at best. So any help from recent buyers would be appreciated.

So far, Kansas has been the only state that’s outright said they can’t do a deal because of the 50 State sticker and their vehicles aren’t cleared for sake in California.

In Missouri I’m having some leads and they are open to it but are inquiring about it with Ford and their regional guys.

If the sticker isn’t present how have you California buyers found the process to be? Will the smog guy check for the sticker? Or just run the emissions test?

Does the DMV inspect at all?

Has the process been easy for you?

Any hurdles I need to look out for?

thanks!

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you picked one up yet.. I bought all of mine from out of state and the were all California compliant.

The window sticker will say 50 state emissions and the sticker under the hood will say CA compliant.

The DMV will look for emissions sticker when you get the VIN verification from them and the smog shop will look for the CA compliant sticker under the hood. As far as I know, there is no way around this.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/drive...te-can-you-register-it-in-california-ffvr-29/

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well 2 quick comments,

1) I’m pretty sure Ford only produces 50 state vehicles. (And pretty much has since the early to mid-90’s)

2) Technically, if the truck is used (more than 7500 miles I believe.) it doesn’t need the 50 state sticker. They will do the VIN verification, and you’ll have to get a smog check. As long as all the emissions components are there, and it monitors show ready, you should be okay.

I’ve brought 2 cars in from out of state. The first was an 03 Marauder, 50 state label. Needed vin verification, and smog.

Second car was a legit 49 state car. 88 Mustang GT, first year CA and rest of US had different smog standards. Only federal sticker in that car. Same procedure, VIN verification, and smog, registered no problem.

The person who does the VIN verification only looks for which sticker is on the car, and checks the appropriate box on the form. They don’t have anything to do with emissions compliance, that is 100% the smog place or BAR Referee. (If you can, go to a local PD or CHP for your verification. The cops tend to be much easier to work with and more competent than the moron DMV employees, who know little to nothing about cars, and often not even where all the vin stamps are.)

On a side note, don’t be shy about calling the Referee’s Office. They are super helpful and really want to give you good info, so you can pass.

It’s very doable, just have all your docs in order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Raptors are CA CARB compliant. While I understand why salespeople don't know every little detail about their vehicles (especially when it only applies to one state) the sticker is literally under the hood.

Adding to the confusion, I've seen older window stickers that list '50 state emissions compliant' as an option whereas new trucks do not have that listed. Either way, you're good when it comes to importing a Raptor to CA.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have said this many times before, and will say again. The myth of "unable to register Raptor in CA" needs to die. Simply nonsense.

All F-150 (including Raptor) are 50-State certified. Ford doesn't make them any other way.

Once you purchase your Raptor out of state, simply take it to do a smog test (to validate that dealer didn't modify anything from the factory), and with smog papers go to DMV, pay taxes and get your plates. That's it, nothing more to it.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not dead in NY. Yes all the trucks are the same but the certificate of origin must state “certified for sale in California “ here in New York. It’s a simple click when the truck is ordered by the dealer. If the dealer isn’t part of this bs they have to get approval to order the truck this way. In NY you register before inspection. All they look for at the dmv is the ca emissions on the COO. If you don’t have it the truck can not be registered here, you don’t make it to the emissions step. Only exception is if it has 7500 miles. At that point it’s considered used. If your state does emissions check before registration then it really wouldn’t matter cause all trucks have the same parts and stickers under the hood. I experienced this first hand.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Sad you guys have to worry about this when literally the roads are overrun with total POS vehicles everywhere in California. I had a nightmare of a time getting a brand new Toyota Tacoma to pass just because it was from Colorado and they were ***** about it. Sometimes I think I miss California and then I think of crap like this...

grleon65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this. My wife and I refused to pay the ridiculous markups that the CA dealers wanted, so we started looking out of state. Bottom line - have the salesman snap a picture of the sticker under the hood. It'll say CA compliant. Once you receive it, get it weighed at a certified weigh station, get it smogged. Have the tax $ collected by the dealer and the check in hand that you need to remit to the DMV as well as the DMV form reg343. Prepare to be bent over on the registration fees - mine was over $1400. The dmv will inspect the truck as part of the process and will issue you plates.

This link might help:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehic...egistration-fee-calculator/calculate-my-fees/

Call Greg at Smartford in Malvern, AR and check if the blue 2020 Raptor is there (they may have others). It was about $3k under MSRP and we almost bit on that one. We ended up picking up a 2019 Screw and I'm looking at it thru my front window right now. Fully registered, no issues.

G

sfhondapilot

Reaction score
Thanks to all the contributors on this thread.

Let me just add that there are third parties that will handle the DMV processing work (if you aren't looking forward to standing in hours long lines at DMV) and they often perform the verification of vehicle (REG 31) form. So its looks like the sequence will be (a) smog, (b) weight certification and (c) third party to handle verification and registration.

edit: Have attached the document from Fleet Ford on the CARB certification for the F-150 ecoboost engine.

Attachments

• Raptor Emission Certification.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited: