Amsoil mphd heavy duty metal protector (amh)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chris@FreedomMotorsports

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would actually need examples to compare to. There are quite a few petroleum based metal protectors out there. That being said I received my new testing pieces via the UPS truck today, they are COVERED in petroleum based metal protector and it is WET. Whatever is on them wouldn't work as an under coating or anything you didn't want attracting dirt.

Test_Metal_01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris@FreedomMotorsports

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have sanded, cleaned and sprayed the test pieces. I cleaned them with Auto Zone brand brake cleaner. I wanted to use something readily available and that would evaporate quickly. The first thing I notice was of course the rust colored tint to the Amsoil MPHD when applied, it is pretty thick. It actually makes me have my doubts about a "Clear" finish when hardened, but we'll see.

The LPS3 sprayed on in a foamy yellowish film that took a good bit before the foamy texture to smooth. The smell is a little less intense than the Amsoil and ACF-50 with a kind of sweet smell.

The ACF-50 sprayed on in a smooth liquid texture like the Amsoil but with a slight purple tint that cleared almost completely within about ten minutes. Just from what I have seen so far, I would bet that the ACF-50 would wind up being the product of choice for protecting chrome or anything you want to shine nice a pretty. But, I could be proven wrong if the other two clear completely as they cure. We'll see.

They are curing in my little shop where the inside temp is hovering around 75*. We'll see how long the curing process takes. Stay tuned...

AMSOIL on the far left, then ACF-50, LPS3 and then the untreated control.
Test_Metal_02.jpg

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have anything to measure the humidity? I am running 80% and 38% humidity. But its winter here.

I'll try and get mine going this week end. Do you want to run them together in sync.

We are from 2 very different states in terms of weather, I wonder if we get different results?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris@FreedomMotorsports

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not really. But it is taking FOREVER for them to begin to cure. They have been in the shop curing for about 7 hours now and the Amsoil is the only one that is close to dry. The ACF-50 is still good and wet while the LPS3 even still has the foamy texture and is more sticky than wet.

OP
OP
Chris@FreedomMotorsports

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. Even after curing though, I will be REAL impressed if the Amsoil's color clears completely. I will also be impressed if the LPS3, um, "flattens out" so to speak, from the foamy texture that it has.