Amsoil filter surface rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i drained all my oil in my 2020 Raptor to perform my annual oil change and noticed surface rust on Amsoils oil filter. Anyone Elise experience this? I’m hesitant to use this filter with the surface rust. Feedback appreciated

Attachments

• 923C85B6-FE6E-4B14-B695-50D252DCE783.jpeg
    923C85B6-FE6E-4B14-B695-50D252DCE783.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 17

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I haven't experienced this. I wouldn't use it either. Did you have it stored for the last year or did you recently pick it up?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven’t seen that before, but I have noticed that the filters have recently started shipping without plastic shrink wrap on the filter as they have in the past. Probably supply chain BS.

If you’re only doing annual oil changes, you should think about putting the filter in a ziploc and/or lightly coating the mating surface with oil if it’ll be sitting on stand-by for a year. The paperboard box isn’t going to protect against corrosion.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never seen that. Did you order as a preferred member or did you get from a distributor?

I’d return it especially since it’s double the price of a Motorcraft.

Edit: I just reread this thread - did you have this filter sitting around in the garage?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To quote others, I’d also ask for a refund or exchange since it isn’t like it’s a budget filter and I wouldn’t use a rusted filter.

OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I haven't experienced this. I wouldn't use it either. Did you have it stored for the last year or did you recently pick it up?
Thanks. No, this was just purchased this month, so it’s brand new

Attachments

• 9E13577C-ABC4-4AAA-BA53-E45FCA798A57.png
    9E13577C-ABC4-4AAA-BA53-E45FCA798A57.png
    261.4 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. No, this was just purchased this month
Never seen that. Did you order as a preferred member or did you get from a distributor?

I’d return it especially since it’s double the price of a Motorcraft.

Edit: I just reread this thread - did you have this filter sitting around in the garage?
ordered as a preferred member and unfortunately I already drained the oil from my Raptor and need a filter. Should have opened the filter box but I checked the code to be sure they included the correct filter before I drained the oil, last year I drained the oil and they sent me the wring filter. I may be moving on to a different product.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amsoil has been having supply issues and sometimes filters are out of stock. I’d have no issues using a Wix XP or Purolator Boss filter in a pinch. I actually used a Wix XP a few changes ago. Would mainly just look for something with a synthetic media that pairs well with a synthetic oil and/or long change interval.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. No, this was just purchased this month

ordered as a preferred member and unfortunately I already drained the oil from my Raptor and need a filter. Should have opened the filter box but I checked the code to be sure they included the correct filter before I drained the oil, last year I drained the oil and they sent me the wring filter. I may be moving on to a different product.
Get the Motorcraft then.