amp sub gain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That JL model comes with two subs rated for up to 600 watts RMS so your amp should be fine powering it. The amp and subs should work together well. The gain is not a volume ****. If you matched your gain properly and are still not happy with the output then you need either more subs or another setup.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually redid the gain at volume 22 ,22.5 is 3/4 volume , the gain is just short of half way at about 40 percent .so your saying 500 watt amp is to little for a 150-600 watt rms sub?
you cant match power between an amp and sub. i will try to explain a little better. first off what i said before. the #1 killer of a speaker is distortion from being underpowered. lets take a 500 watt amplifer. it says 500 watts rms. sure it was bench tested from the manufacturer, but if you look at the specs, all amplifiers are NOT 100% efficient. usually they are between 87%-92% efficient. lets say its 90% efficient so you 500 watt amp is now putting out 450 watts. figure in the power cable. with 4 ga you will lose up to 7-8% there as well. even more if you are using 8ga power, which is NOT recommended over 400 watts in my opinion. lets say a 5% power loss from the power cable run. so now you amp is putting out 425 watts. your subwoofers want to see 300 watts each, but they are getting much less now. it is always good to overpower your speakers. with the right settings its almost impossible to blow a speaker. with your setup, you are introducing distortion to your speakers. now wether it fixes your problem or not, its definitely contributing to it. i type like crap, feel free to call or text me and i can explain more if needed.

(831) 254-7562

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set the gain with a 50 hertz sine wave at 0db volume at 22 , the amp has a distortion led light I turned it till it came on , then backed off till it shut off . I did the same for the front and rear speakers , with a different sine wave

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got what your saying I would have been better off with a lesser sub ,or more powerful amp

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What amount of bass are you looking for? I don't personally like 4.1 amps that run everything from one Amp but that's beside the point, 8 awg power is too small for your Amp, incidental current could generate a lot of heat and fry wires, fire etc. Remember the w0 series isn't going to break windows no matter what you do and your Amp only puts out 500w rms where the speakers want 600w, like car stereo said, being responsible with adjustments and outputting under max from the Amp to speakers is better than underpowering them. Are your rca outputs and inputs matched? What voltage is your output from your head unit compared to the rca inputs on the Amp?

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I set gains with pink noise which covers the spectrum from 20-20k for a more general setup instead of pure spl, 50hz is more than likely not what that box was tuned for causing the impedance of the enclosure at that frequency to be wrong for what you're trying to do.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess it's what happens when you have a goat for a girlfriend, but boy do I feel dumb when I'm reading this stuff! I don't know a pink noise from an octave slope!

I'm glad I had Bruce at Hush to help me get my system going when I installed it. Noah at The Car Stereo Company helped me understand how to properly record to my USB.

Thanks to both of you guys for helping me not be a complete tar d. I guess t ard is not pc anymore so that gets blocked too. :Big Laugh:

Last edited:

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pink noise is the same as white noise but the upper end of the spectrum is played at a lower amplitude, pretty much more bassy white noise. I used to do installs for work and learned there but mostly I do it myself because budgets be tight on stuff like this.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what box are these speakers in? if its ported,you will lose frequencies. a sealed box is ideal for accurate bass response. a ported box gets tuned to a specific frequency for optimum output (loud) but in the process, you lose out on some frequencies.

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I redid the gains again with -5 db tones ,I read that 0 db tones is unrealistic to set gains ,because most music never approaches that sound level. I turned till distortion lights came on on the amp then backed off a bit .so all in all it sounds pretty good for my first ever aftermarket system I did myself .