Amp Power Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As others mentioned, you do lose the door ding protection and the rock protection. But you gain the sharp looks and the lower entry height which sounds like it may be more important in your case.

We carry the PowerStep, PowerStep XL, and PowerStep Extreme. We'd be glad to help get you setup, @RAG13. Please let me know if we can answer any more questions or help with anything else.

Trent 21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Amp boards on mine. Best mod I have done. The factory boards were too high and stuck out too far. I was always scraping the back of my calves on em. The Amps are the perfect height for stepping in and out and better for smaller female passengers too. I have Husky splash guards all around and do not worry about crap hitting the paint. It is gonna happen with or without running boards. I also like the looks better without the boards hanging out there. Door dings? Gonna happen anyway. I am just very careful how and where I park. I need to list my factory boards for sale but I do not have enough posts on here to do that yet. Maybe never will. FYI... It is exactly 12" from the top of the Amp step to the ground if that helps you any.

Last edited:

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Amp boards on mine. Best mod I have done. The factory boards were too high and stuck out too far. I was always scraping the back of my calves on em. The Amps are the perfect height for stepping in and out and better for smaller female passengers too. I have Husky splash guards all around and do not worry about crap hitting the paint. It is gonna happen with of without running boards. I like the looks better without the boards hanging out there. I need to list my factory boards for sale but I do not have enough posts on here to do that yet. Maybe never will.

Any pics?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had Amp Power Steps on my 2014 F150. When I bought my 2017 Raptor I thought about getting Power Steps. But then I saw a Raptor with them and thought it looked funny without the stock running boards. Which is strange because normally I don't like the look of running boards on a truck. The stockers also cut down the amount of crap that gets slung down the sides of the truck.

FerdFteen

Reaction score
The best feature of the stock steps IMO is protection against door dings. Most vehicles can't ding the Raptor with the front doors. Rear doors with wheel cutouts can still reach over the running boards though.

Seriously. If I can't find a far away parking spot at the grocery store or someplace I'm running in quick, I'll often leave my door not fully closed so the AMP boards stay deployed and hang my head in shame.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a way to wire the amo steps without having to have a plug plugged into the OBD port all the time? Would factory oem boards from a regular F150 just bolt on, wire up and work without some sort of programming?

Trent 21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the vid above shows, if you step on the board then shut the door it will stay deployed. It is made to do that for when you are parking if ya want. My Amps are wired right to the battery. Not sure what you mean about factory boards? Gotta have the motors to deploy. I have not noticed any more crap slung up on the side of my truck than there was before I installed the Amps.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My guess is that you would need some programming. My wife's drives a 2018 Lariat with power running boards from the factory and I can control them via the menu (for example, I deploy them when I am washing the truck. The default behavior is that they fold up when you shut the door.).

So you def need some programming to get them into the menu.

I know some guys here that have installed but they plug them into the OBD port. The OBD port on my wife's truck is not being used by the amp boards.

Is there a way to wire the amo steps without having to have a plug plugged into the OBD port all the time? Would factory oem boards from a regular F150 just bolt on, wire up and work without some sort of programming?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I had the Amps on my 2014 F150 I bought the Plug And Play kit and the Pass Through Harness. The Pass Through Harness plugs into the OBDII port but it has a Y with another OBDII port so you don't have to unplug the Amps to plug in a tuner or a scan tool, etc..

Leadweight

Reaction score
I’ve had Amps on all my trucks. They’re the most helpful getting in and out by far, plus they look way cleaner. They are also tucked up closer to the rockers and are smoother, less chance of getting hung up off-road, or high centered. They do not offer protection from rocks being thrown up by your tires when off-roading, but they absolutely do protect you from door dings from other cars or trucks. If I ever have to park next to anyone, you just step on the board, then close the door. The board stays down and is a great deterrent to any ******* that might ding your door. They were the first mod I did on my 2020, I scratched the back of my calf once on the stock ones and they were gone. I’m 6’2” so I don’t really need them, but my wife is 5’ nothing and she loves them. Happy wife, happy life!

BB28220C-DE22-467F-B128-2FBBBCAD8914.jpeg