Ambient Lighting Installation Part 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Gang, here is the install for the ambient lighting pieces.

All credit goes to JHForman over at gen14
for the two harnesses and wiring diagram.
If you want the harnesses from him, email at [email protected] he charges $80 and that includes shipping.

I ordered the parts from OEM Ford Parts Direct. Shipping was like $8.00.
www.oemfordpartsdirect.com

Glovebox Lamp/ML3Z-14A411-C/$23.40
Cup Holder/ML3Z-1513562-CB/$21.19
Media Bin Lamp/ML3Z-14A318-C/$21.24

The cup holder came with the LED ring, harness and KV Antenna. I swapped out my original KV Antenna in case it was programmed to my truck. Not sure what it does but I think it has something to do with the fobs.

Side Note: If you want to change your HVAC unit out for the LED temp dials now is the time.

I used plastic trim removal tools that way you don’t scratch or mar your trim.

Like these:
2B2702C5-A2EF-4820-87A5-E08BF8FD9476.png
I started by removing the glove box and the two side trim pieces on the center console, these two pieces pull out from the side and pull back from the dash, then, remove the lower trim piece (passenger side only).
2FD75068-AED0-4876-BF0A-0565571A9136.jpeg
03A0EBEB-35FD-48A8-9978-49F389D9BF1E.jpeg
Next you need to remove the screen bezel and the center trim piece on the dash. These need to come off so we can take out the HVAC controls, as you can see the console top trim piece goes under the controls. Make sure you pry the trim at the clip points with your trim tool. It’s on there pretty good so you have to use some force but be careful.
BFBE3EC9-50B5-468B-B823-F18DC58B5CD7.jpeg
18B8B8E8-FF27-4E08-BAD3-3A684F6E3E80.jpeg
The HVAC controls are held on by four screws (in red) and two clips, one on each side. Take out the screws and pull straight out. I only disconnected a few of the wires so i could move the controls out of the way (yellow circle).

Now you can remove the top trim piece. (Green arrow). There are six clips on each side and two in the middle. The cup holder is attached to this piece.

Continued in Part 2 thread.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper

Raptor R
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Gang, here is the install for the ambient lighting pieces.

All credit goes to JHForman over at gen14
for the two harnesses and wiring diagram.
If you want the harnesses from him, email at [email protected] he charges $80 and that includes shipping.

I ordered the parts from OEM Ford Parts Direct. Shipping was like $8.00.
www.oemfordpartsdirect.com

Glovebox Lamp/ML3Z-14A411-C/$23.40
Cup Holder/ML3Z-1513562-CB/$21.19
Media Bin Lamp/ML3Z-14A318-C/$21.24

The cup holder came with the LED ring, harness and KV Antenna. I swapped out my original KV Antenna in case it was programmed to my truck. Not sure what it does but I think it has something to do with the fobs.

Side Note: If you want to change your HVAC unit out for the LED temp dials now is the time.

I used plastic trim removal tools that way you don’t scratch or mar your trim.

Like these:
View attachment 393133
I started by removing the glove box and the two side trim pieces on the center console, these two pieces pull out from the side and pull back from the dash, then, remove the lower trim piece (passenger side only).
View attachment 393135
View attachment 393136
Next you need to remove the screen bezel and the center trim piece on the dash. These need to come off so we can take out the HVAC controls, as you can see the console top trim piece goes under the controls. Make sure you pry the trim at the clip points with your trim tool. It’s on there pretty good so you have to use some force but be careful.
View attachment 393137
View attachment 393138
The HVAC controls are held on by four screws (in red) and two clips, one on each side. Take out the screws and pull straight out. I only disconnected a few of the wires so i could move the controls out of the way (yellow circle).

Now you can remove the top trim piece. (Green arrow). There are six clips on each side and two in the middle. The cup holder is attached to this piece.

Continued in Part 2 thread.
Do you know if they’re is a media bin part that has a cutout for the light? My media bin in my R does not have a cutout for the light… Was hoping I don’t have to do surgery on the one I have if there is a part available with the exact cutout for the light.

OP
OP
FoxNotch

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if they’re is a media bin part that has a cutout for the light? My media bin in my R does not have a cutout for the light… Was hoping I don’t have to do surgery on the one I have if there is a part available with the exact cutout for the light.
There should be a cutout with a dummy plug in it in the media bin directly behind the shifter. One of the threads i did has a arrow pointing to it. Hope this helps.

impaul4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the digital hvac require special harness or any calibration? I have a 2022 coming with heated steering wheel still but not the digital hvac knobs

Ivan Dan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else hate popping the dash pieces out? They always feel like they're going to break.

Trail_Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you can post of photo of where the media bin light goes? I spoke with John and he told me that for 2023 I'd need to cut a hole for it, but I would like to know exactly where to do it. Thanks!

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance you can post of photo of where the media bin light goes? I spoke with John and he told me that for 2023 I'd need to cut a hole for it, but I would like to know exactly where to do it. Thanks!
Not heading out to my truck right now, but that cut out is directly across from the USB plugs, just in front of the shift handle.

psqed

Reaction score
JHForman is the man. It is not that hard of a project to do at all. I have had mine up and running for a couple of weeks. All the information at the original thread is accurate.