Am I missing out on anything by doing my own oil changes and maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Raptor after having owned a couple of "high end" cars where service was included in the purchase for 4+ years.

With the Raptor I am back to doing my own oil changes because I enjoy it and it's more convenient.

On these prior cars whenever the vehicle would go in for an oil change they would do software updates, often several at each service, and any tech bulletins on the vehicle that were recommended.

Does Ford release periodic software updates and campaigns and am I missing out on those (or anything else) by doing my own oil changes and maintenance?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are mostly missing out on the upscale waiting rooms and the new loaner cars at the Euro dealers. :)

The Ford app lets you know about any recalls. This forum does a good job of keeping up in TSB’s.

You are saving a bunch of time by changing your own oil, plus you know it’s done right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickshu

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are mostly missing out on the upscale waiting rooms and the new loner cars at the Euro dealers. :)

The Ford app lets you know about any recalls. This forum does a good job of keeping up in TSB’s.

You are saving a bunch of time by changing your own oil, plus you know it’s done right.

I agree. Yes always got a loaner car at those dealers, made service really easy. Not so much at a Ford dealer...waiting or getting a ride to/from.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not missing a thing. I hated taking my audi to the dealer for a simple oil change. Ended up doing them myself, regardless of the fact audicare was part of the CPO I had bought.

My Raptor came with 2 years oil changes from the dealer, and I don't worry about it. It would literally cost me 4 hours of my life or more for a free oil change with a flunky low level tech working on my truck i dont trust, and them using bare minimum syth blend oil.

My oil changes cost me $33 for the oil and fiter, and i know enough about cars to review my truck and only then will it go to a dealer if needed.

in 2 weeks it will be 1 year that I purchased my truck. It has never sniffed the dealer and i can't feel any better then i do about it.

spencerh84

Reaction score
I still take mine to the dealer. I cringe giving it to them every time but I get oil change and tire rotation for $29 w/ coupon. I have to # my tires or they do not rotate them. Also check the oil before I pull out to make sure they fill it to the proper level. I don't have the equipment/patience to do the tire rotation in my driveway.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are mostly missing out on the upscale waiting rooms and the new loner cars at the Euro dealers. :)

And lets not forget the Food....YES...our local Mega Toyota dealership actually has a cafe that serves full breakfasts and lunches...! and WTF...they dont even give you a free meal when you go in to buy...For some BACON I just might of bought that Tacoma instead of my Raptor...so gotta thank them for being jerks..;)
Do your own oil...dealerships suck...

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have the equipment/patience to do the tire rotation in my driveway.

i did the tire rotation one time with the stock jack, then went to harbor freight and bought the 4 ton floor jack. I either keep the cars working, or have to do laundry. easy choice for me.

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the tire rotation one time with the stock jack, then went to harbor freight and bought the 4 ton floor jack. I either keep the cars working, or have to do laundry. easy choice for me.

How do you rotate the tires with one floor jack? I have to rotate them soon for the first time and I'm trying to strategize the best way to do it with one floor jack and jack stands. I'd figure I would ask someone that has done it already and take their advice.