Am I a poser if I buy a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WooPig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99% of raptor owners don’t use them as there intended to be. So what

^^very true. If you can afford it, buy it, who cares what you do with. But that extra few grand you speak of is only spent on the off-road prowess of the truck. So it seems pointless to pay an extra few grand for it. But having said that, I did and I live NOWHERE near dunes and drive 99% on road and I love it. So....

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^very true. If you can afford it, buy it, who cares what you do with. But that extra few grand you speak of is only spent on the off-road prowess of the truck. So it seems pointless to pay an extra few grand for it. But having said that, I did and I live NOWHERE near dunes and drive 99% on road and I love it. So....

I disagree to an extent. That extra money also gets you a Raptor, which is a Raptor, and looks like a Raptor. There’s nothing like it. Best looking truck on the road by far, and that includes the new Dodge and GM offerings.

MH23

Reaction score
I was in a similar boat a few months ago, looking to finally trade in the 2008 F150 FX4 & get something new. When looking at a new, middle of the road F-150 it wasn't that much of a difference to get a 17 Raptor. Good thing ( or bad depending ) is the re-sale value of raptors as it seems very easy to re sell/trade if it's not what you're looking for.
Nice looking F-150.
Go for it!

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Absolutely! I’ve never understood people who buy or don’t buy something because of other people’s worthless opinions. I have a Raptor and a Prius sitting next to each other in my driveway. I have a hatchback hot rod in the garage on stands waiting for me to install the built engine. I own Italian and Japanese motorcycles. I drive/ride, maintain and mod them all (well, the Prius is as is). I can tell you for SURE that IDGAF what opinions other people have. YMMV

LOL! I drive a Kia Rio for my everyday ride (30 mpg in town), unless it snows, and drive my Raptor for my fun weekends...

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 months ago a kid in a Mazda CX5 tried to turn blindly into my lane and hit me head on in my recently paid off Challenger RT. I have good insurance and got more than if I sold it (pre-accident) and took that $$$ and bought a super.clean 10 SCAB Raptor because I've wanted one since they came out. I commute 12 miles a day in Seattle and hope to get it off road this weekend but it's a great commuter people stay out of your way.

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a poser in my opinion. That's mainly how I use mine. Been off road a few times but mainly use it as a daily driver/Home Depot/junk hauler. FYI you probably wont be able to get that much rock in a Raptor without going over the payload.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
to be honest though....i you do a lot of thing shown in picture #2.....a raptor may not be the best choice.

raptors payload capacity is for **** because of the "off roady" suspension set up.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm an original owner of a 2004 F150 FX4 SCAB purchased new, and have been toying around the idea of replacing it with a new truck. When I spec out my wants in a Lariat/KR/Platinum I come out to almost $60K...for a few grand more it makes sense to get the raptor mainly because the value retention is amazing.

Pretty much how I came to the conclusion that the Raptor's what I wanted. I don't care for the KR interior and I like the look of the exterior look of the Raptor way better than Lariat/Platinum/Limited. And it's not like those vehicle's don't have their stereotypical image associated to them either.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really would NOT worry about being a "poser"

you have some people who take their trucks out a couple times a year to the desert and it makes them feel like "they are using the truck for what it was intended"

Others might drive their trucks hard and never see the desert.

Others never leave pavement.

Long story short, it a friggen pickup truck, do what you want, and whatever you do, ignore opinions of the raptor "community" for the most part.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^^ This !!! ^^^

Who cares if everyone else on this forum thinks you are a poser! Buy the one you like and do whatever you want with it!