Aluminum vs Steel Skid Plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The rci ones for the gas tank and any of the underbody stuff. I like the ADD bumpers for the front skid protection. I know there are quite a few alloys of each material to choose from (I work as an aerospace engineer) but the info on which alloy each company uses for each part seems limited if available at all. And even then, what spec of powder coat and how they end up making it can change how they work significantly. Just lookin for some real world experience from people like @zombiekiller cause the specs don't always tell the full story but they are a good thing to consider. Thanks again for the input.
There is a great book on this by Carroll Smith called "engineer to win" it is specifically on automotive materials.

OP
OP
N

Nick9323

Reaction score
foutz did a really great job on the skids. When I ordered them, it was before there were a lot of modified Gen2s out there.

I sent them a picture of where the skid for my SVC bumper ended. They got the skid designed, cut and shipped in 2 days from a picture.

When I installed them, the gap from bumper skid to foutz skid was a clean 1/8" and perfect.

Greg and team are who campaigned the Gen2 raptor in the Baja 1000. The skids that they sell are identical to what they ran on the stock class race truck.

If they'll survive the baja 1000 for foutz and 8 trips to baja on my truck ( about 10K baja miles on my truck), they'll absolutely stand up to whatever you can throw at them.

I honestly called foutz right after I did raptor assault. They had the gen2 race truck in the showroom there. I looked under it, saw the skids, and was told that foutz made them. i called and ordered them while waiting for my flight at the airport.
That's a pretty compelling story for foutz, if it survived all that then that's more than good enough for me. My wife doesn't mind the mods but if I keep replacing the same part all the time cause I got the wrong one I'll be in doghouse so I appreciate the help!

84 Sheepdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally, hey.

I looked it up and it wouldn't stand up to being beside an exhaust pipe, but does well in hot weather/ past boiling temps. And needs to be -45 degrees before it gets brittle.

I've never had issues with the plastic getting too hot or melting, even with the exhaust running right by it and a catalytic converter 2 inches away from it. It's going to be on the outside and shielded from direct heat by the steel or aluminum that forms the structure of the skidplate. If heat is an issue you probably have other issues like your truck is on fire. :) Also, don't know why I forgot to mention this earlier. I've run both HDPE and UHMW in this application. UHMW does seem to wear better than the HDPE, suggest going with UHMW if available but either will work.

I've run this same skidplate set-up on this Jeep for 17 years. I regularly run the hardest trails around here and Oklahoma, Utah, and Colorado in this thing. I've only changed the plastic out one time just because it was looking ragged, it was still totally functional. I had a local shop (Tribe16) put the plastic on this time because they make it look a lot prettier than I could ever get it.

I've stood this Jeep up on the back tires and landed with the full weight of the Jeep on it directly on large boulders multiple times---it's still holding strong and is only slightly bent. This one is built off a crossmember that is .128 wall DOM with 1/4" steel plate and 1/2" HDPE or UHMW. These trucks aren't really built for these kinds of rocks but I hit those kind of trails enough in the Raptor that I want it to slide over rocks easily and not sound like I'm ripping the bottom out of the truck. I'd also rather replace $50 worth of plastic than a $1000 skidplate.

HDPE Skidplate.jpg

Last edited:

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had issues with the plastic getting too hot or melting, even with the exhaust running right by it and a catalytic converter 2 inches away from it. It's going to be on the outside and shielded from direct heat by the steel or aluminum that forms the structure of the skidplate. If heat is an issue you probably have other issues like your truck is on fire. :) Also, don't know why I forgot to mention this earlier. I've run both HDPE and UHMW in this application. UHMW does seem to wear better than the HDPE, suggest going with UHMW if available but either will work.

I've run this same skidplate set-up on this Jeep for 17 years. I regularly run the hardest trails around here and Oklahoma, Utah, and Colorado in this thing. I've only changed the plastic out one time just because it was looking ragged, it was still totally functional. I had a local shop (Tribe16) put the plastic on this time because they make it look a lot prettier than I could ever get it.

I've stood this Jeep up on the back tires and landed with the full weight of the Jeep on it directly on large boulders multiple times---it's still holding strong and is only slightly bent. This one is built off a crossmember that is .128 wall DOM with 1/4" steel plate and 1/2" HDPE or UHMW. These trucks aren't really built for these kinds of rocks but I hit those kind of trails enough in the Raptor that I want it to slide over rocks easily and not sound like I'm ripping the bottom out of the truck. I'd also rather replace $50 worth of plastic than a $1000 skidplate.

View attachment 162347

That looks excellent.

I have a visceral reaction to exposed hex bolt heads on high wear skid plates and things like that. I hate following that mess after they inevitably get mashed and mangled. So many different ways to countersink or at least use a rounded head.

That install looks great.

Thanks for the info and ideas.

OP
OP
N

Nick9323

Reaction score

View attachment 162347
Awesome, thanks for the info and pic! Looks like a great way to go.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you’re at all serious a differential skid is probably even more important than the underbody aftermarket skids, and a frame cut bumper along with exhaust cut off and rear bumper are imo essential, and the side steps are always being bent up so you need something higher tighter and tougher

OP
OP
N

Nick9323

Reaction score
if you’re at all serious a differential skid is probably even more important than the underbody aftermarket skids, and a frame cut bumper along with exhaust cut off and rear bumper are imo essential, and the side steps are always being bent up so you need something higher tighter and tougher
Yep, diff skid is already on order, other bumpers and steps to follow shortly.