Alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phrozen755

Reaction score
My alternator just went out actually - anyone go through the process of swapping it? And yes … I have a whipple … just want to make sure if I do indeed need to remove the whipple or not.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@phrozen755

No, shouldn't have too. Do you have the .pdf installation manual from Whipple?
You only need to remove the top where the twin screw compressor lives, you don't need to remove the Intercooler and manifold.
I would suggest getting a new gasket.

Alternator.jpg

Last edited:

phrozen755

Reaction score
@phrozen755

No, shouldn't have too. Do you have the .pdf installation manual from Whipple?
You only need to remove the top where the twin screw compressor lives, you don't need to remove the Intercooler and manifold.
I would suggest getting a new gasket.

View attachment 179984
Oh my god thank you. I’ll be doing this next weekend, super appreciate the reply, and insight. Much much appreciated.

phrozen755

Reaction score
@MTF to piggy back on the aforementioned -- since that alternator went out, I literally have no power to anything (i.e. put the key in, nothing happens -- even jumping doesn't work). Trying to figure out a culprit, but wanted somewhere to go off of before I dug deeper. I'm assuming a fuse went, but didn't know if you could advise any typical scenarios that you may have come across. Basically, that alternator went and I almost immediately turned the truck off -- smoked a whole ton in the process. Since then, and since I have no power to anything, I have had to manually switch the linkage from neutral to park and back and forth to get it towed. PITA so I figured I'd start there. I'm assuming (possibly) it got so hot that it nuked the wires behind the alternator making it ground out and possibly pop a fuse. I also didn't know if it was standard procedure in these trucks that if, when an alternator goes bonkers, that the system basically locks itself out until a new one is installed (if that is even a thing).

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@MTF to piggy back on the aforementioned -- since that alternator went out, I literally have no power to anything (i.e. put the key in, nothing happens -- even jumping doesn't work). Trying to figure out a culprit, but wanted somewhere to go off of before I dug deeper. I'm assuming a fuse went, but didn't know if you could advise any typical scenarios that you may have come across. Basically, that alternator went and I almost immediately turned the truck off -- smoked a whole ton in the process. Since then, and since I have no power to anything, I have had to manually switch the linkage from neutral to park and back and forth to get it towed. PITA so I figured I'd start there. I'm assuming (possibly) it got so hot that it nuked the wires behind the alternator making it ground out and possibly pop a fuse. I also didn't know if it was standard procedure in these trucks that if, when an alternator goes bonkers, that the system basically locks itself out until a new one is installed (if that is even a thing).
The primary charge wire has an in-line fuse built in to it under the black plastic cover that could have also blown which you would have to replace the primary charge wire to get power back. I had a alternator fail and pulling the whipple compressor is a pain but I did notice that the bolt on the back of the pulley whipple adds for the serpentine bottomed out and was not tightening fully so I would suggest checking that as well. Definitely go OEM or well known performance brand like mechman for the alternator, the parts store garbage never worked.