Alternators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Called Ford, based on my VIN it is 200 amps. Course they could be mistaken

Yeah saw the warranty. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an idea, but we've got a local shop that all they do is work on alternators and electric motors and such.

Those guys are really knowledgeable of what works best and will warranty their work for ever. Take your alternator to them and have them bench test it. Takes about 10 minutes. They will tell you what needs to be done and replace whatever is wrong with the best parts available. This place will actually do the work the same day if you get it to them early enough.

I take all my alternators to them and have never had one fail yet. 200k miles + on one of them.

I think the last one I took in for a Chevy that was only about 2 years old it ran me about $150.00 - $175.00 to have rebuilt, but I know it will last forever now and was done right. Not by some re-man shop that does about a thousand of them a day and could give two ***** if it's done right or not.......

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stick with the OEM one you will regret it if you don't! I did research on this when mine failed, there are hardly any good 3rd party alternators for the 6.2 due to the case type and mount location.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an idea, but we've got a local shop that all they do is work on alternators and electric motors and such.

Those guys are really knowledgeable of what works best and will warranty their work for ever. Take your alternator to them and have them bench test it. Takes about 10 minutes. They will tell you what needs to be done and replace whatever is wrong with the best parts available. This place will actually do the work the same day if you get it to them early enough.

I take all my alternators to them and have never had one fail yet. 200k miles + on one of them.

I think the last one I took in for a Chevy that was only about 2 years old it ran me about $150.00 - $175.00 to have rebuilt, but I know it will last forever now and was done right. Not by some re-man shop that does about a thousand of them a day and could give two ***** if it's done right or not.......

Name/number?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Name/number?

My shop is way up here in Galesburg, IL. If I was you I'd find a place closer to you for the turn around time and if you would have any problems in the future. You're by Dallas / Ft. Worth, right? If you need some help finding a place there, I've got some friends that could probably refer a shop to me and I could get you that info if needed.......

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

Stick with the OEM one you will regret it if you don't! I did research on this when mine failed, there are hardly any good 3rd party alternators for the 6.2 due to the case type and mount location.

That's what I was suggesting, is rebuilding the existing alternator with better than OEM parts. There's nothing wrong with the case or most of the internals except the one's that are failing or have already failed.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford tested it, turns out it is failing, only charging to 13 volts instead of 14. SDHQ and Nations Starter and Alternator sell the exact same alternator, but if you buy it direct you can get a 5 year warranty on it. They had a $75 off sale with free shipping, it ended up costing $30 more than SDHQ, but I got 5 years instead of 2.

should get here by the time I get back in town then I'll install it and see how it goes.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry, been out. aftermarket alternators will put out more current, however they will not last as long. i have been through mny alternators in vehicles due to the excessive current draw on my spl vehicles in the past. as far as reliability, nothing will beat an oem alternator. an upgraded or higher output alternator will be wound tighter which means mre current, however generates more heat. the heat will shorten the life of the coils.