Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an optimum red top battery I bought in May of 2020. I started thinking about my codes with remote start and wondered if maybe the battery wasn't holding the right volts. I had the battery replaced with a 2022 March build date. 1st remote start no codes. Did a second one like 30 mins later...steering wheel angle sensor again. What volts should my battery show when running with AC and all the normal stuff on? Should it fluctuate between 13.3 to 13.8? The battery tested at the store showed all the cores were about gone so it's good I got a new one. But I'm wondering if the alternator is not charging my battery properly.

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was never a big fan of the six pack style of batteries. Put a blue top in my boat for starting and electronics lasted about a year or so. Put a marine AGM in and was still going strong 4 yrs later when I sold the boat. Regular AGM has more reserve capacity. You might want to go with the OEM battery or there are a few aftermarket batteries that are stronger than OEM.

OP
OP
Meat2022

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my alternator tested this morning, with the truck running and AC on and stereo the volts were reading between 14.1 to 14.4. Everything said pass on the alternator tester. But should my volts still be going up and down at idle like that? I have about 2500 miles still left with my warranty and the alternator is covered. The steering angle sensor code didnt come up this morning when i remote started. So its like a random issue is what makes me think the battery isnt getting charged properly and causing just enough of an issue with the voltage to freak out the BCM and throw the code in my reader. No CEL no Trac Control light....the code only shows in my tuner with remote start. Weird for sure.