Alternator upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought a 12,000lb winch which is rated at 359 amps. I searched the specs of the stock alternator and it's rated at 220 which tells me if I'm REALLY stuck or pulling out someone who is, my battery will still drain pretty fast even with the vehicle on. Is there an alternator around that is up to the task which is also a direct replacement for the stock one?

Loaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember my winching basics your winch will be drawing full amperage (359 amps) at a max pull, 12000 lbs. As the weight of the pull lessens the amperage draw will lower. When winching heavier pulls you are going to have to let your winch rest frequently to prevent over heating. This will help the trucks alternator recover amp draw when resting the winch. I do not know of a high key output alternator for the gen 2 raptor. I believe forged off road has one for the gen 1 raptor. They maybe a possible resource to contact.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What he said.....2 batteries in parallel would be able to handle the load of that much winching

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll probably grab a deep cycle battery and keep it on a tender and toss it in the back for so me extra juice when I do some wheeling.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you are winching 10 people one after another, your battery will give you additional amps to take care of it. Worst case scenario is you will get a low battery warning, but the truck will still be running. Stop winching and let the alternator catch up. And yes, you need to let the winch cool off as well. Jeeps do not have that big of an alternator, and nobody that I know runs a bigger one or two batteries. As you winch, you should have somebody rev the engine, so the alternator will put out max, probably around 2,500 RPM. If the battery does get low, you will know it, as the winch will slow down, stop and let everything catch up.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does a high charge do to a sealed battery?

I’m not entirely sure what you’re referring to but if you’re talking about having a high output alternator on the car it does nothing. Think of a high current alternator as simply having a larger fuel tank. It’s the same fuel going in the engine you can just go longer before you run out. With a high current alternator you can place more electrical load before you start draining the battery. It can also help reduce voltage drop in a high load condition.