Alternative High-Beam Connection ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have Diode Dynamics SS3 max driving pods and used the blue switch wire of the relay harness tapped into the high beam wire of the Starkey Products headlight adapter harness. Seems to work perfectly, ran Forscan and showed no DTCs. To be safe should I replace the standard relay with the Hella solid state relay?
Solid state would be the safest bet, the amperage draw may be on the threshold of setting a DTC, but you'll never know if one sets unless you're checking it on a regular basis. Which certainly isn't practical.

toledoUPSguy

Reaction score
Solid state would be the safest bet, the amperage draw may be on the threshold of setting a DTC, but you'll never know if one sets unless you're checking it on a regular basis. Which certainly isn't practical.
Thank you. Apparently even though the plugs are the same the hella solid state relay does not function the same as a Bosch style. Do you know of one that does?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting concept, and I hope that something pan's out for the OP. But seems like a non issue to me, you can literally flip a auxiliary switch with next to zero effort and no risk of interfering with factory settings etc?

OP
OP
2020Raptor

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting concept, and I hope that something pan's out for the OP. But seems like a non issue to me, you can literally flip a auxiliary switch with next to zero effort and no risk of interfering with factory settings etc?
I find that I want the aux lights whenever the high beams are on.
Repeatedly reaching up 30 times a trip to turn on/off to allow for oncoming traffic gets tiresome.
Now that the nights are longer, I need to get back into this.
There is not as much need in the long summer days.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only question is why the attached PDF from lingentelter says they aren't interchangeable?
they say that you will need to change the wiring. however, 85 and 86 are interchangeable with a spst/spdt relay. maybe the ss relay is power directional. but 87 and 30 shouldnt matter as the relay connects those 2 pins upon activation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free