ALSTROM POINT - Lake Powell AZ/UT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
If you have ever seen a calendar of Lake Powell, or some of Michael Fatali's Images of Lake Powell there is a good chance they were captured from Alstrom Point.
Alstrom Point also allows you a fantastic vantage of Gunsight Point.
The first time i went out here was before I was using any Navigation App. I was using my Benchmark Maps and the Wander and Search Navigation Mode.
I headed out there at 0500 with the intention of capturing the sunset and heading back into town late..BAD IDEA! The Point is out on the top of a Mesa, overlooking the Lake. When I went there wasn't any worn trail to aid in Navigation. Trying to Navigate the Mesa at night is Extremely Dangerous! A wrong turn will send you over the edge of the Canyon Cliff, 500-1000 feet to your death.
So, rather than die, I opted to spend the night on the Mesa. I had my tent with me, but by the time I was done capturing the Sunset, I was to lazy to set up the tent choosing instead to sleep in the cab. This turned out to be a Very Wise decision. Pitch black and total solitude. The silence was deafening, broken only by the occasional voice drifting up from a houseboat on the water hundreds of feet below the Mesa. As I was drifting off i hear some scratching and scurrying!?? I grab one of my 35 lights in the Raptor. I light up my hood as a MFING Kangaroo Rat runs across the hood near the windshield!! Being a Desert Rat myself, I should have anticipated this problem, but in my defense, I hadn't planned on spending the night. Having delt with these little MFERS before, I knew they loved to eat plastic. I get out and pop the hood. Sure enough those MFING FUXKS had started to chew some of my wires!! I don't carry an extra alternator, battery cables etc. Mainly because I am not Mr Wrench, I can't even find the parts on these new trucks.
Long story Longer....I spent the rest of the night, intermittently cranking up the engine, scaring them away and hoping to k i l l a few in the fan ;)
It will be an Adventure, etched into my memory bank forever.
The Views, sights and sounds are hard to describe with my limited 4 letter vocabulary. The Images I share here with you don't come close to telling the story of Alstrom Point's SPECTACULAR BEAUTY!!

2015-10-01 ALSTROM POINT LK POWELL 108.JPG2015-10-01 ALSTROM POINT LK POWELL 107.JPG2015-10-01 ALSTROM POINT LK POWELL 110.JPG2015-10-01 ALSTROM POINT LK POWELL 111.JPG2015-10-01 ALSTROM POINT LK POWELL 114.JPG

Gator85

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great pics! Thanks once again. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip out there in the fall. I'm trying to do all of Southern Utah. Always wanted to see Monument Valley. Gonna drive out from PA. My "vicious hound" and me.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Great pics! Thanks once again. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip out there in the fall. I'm trying to do all of Southern Utah. Always wanted to see Monument Valley. Gonna drive out from PA. My "vicious hound" and me.
Outstanding! If you get this far give me shout or I could possibly meet you up in UT if I can bend my Mfing knee by then.
You are in for An Adventure of a Lifetime if you haven’t been out this way before.
Take all the pictures you can . You never know when they will put a condo on your favorite trail.
PM me and we can exchange info. I have helped several folks plan Adventures out this way :)

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
It goes without saying, have a 5 gallon jug or two of water. If you have been in the Desert before it’s amazing how dry you can get, especially on the Trail, little to no water available. My hounds drink like crazy, especially when it’s over 100.