GEN 2 AlphaRex vs. Morimoto Headlight Comparison (Video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How difficult was the install? There is online video and there were wires going every which way.
Depends. If you go to Keep It Dirty Offroad's YT channel he has a video of the install. That part is pretty straight forward. I used a 90deg pick to get the yellow fender flare clips off which helps a lot.

As for the wiring everything is plug and play pretty much other than the Micro2 jumper for the higher powered DRL's. If you do the amber mod than it gets a little more hairy but you can set everything up prior to installing the lights. Once that's done though everything is still plug and play. I was able to take out one of the extra jumper harnesses on the lights since I did the amber DRL mod which cleaned things up more.

In the pic, top red circle is the relay I added and bottom one is where an extra connector was that I removed since I was cutting into the wires already.

20200522_133719.jpg

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends. If you go to Keep It Dirty Offroad's YT channel he has a video of the install. That part is pretty straight forward. I used a 90deg pick to get the yellow fender flare clips off which helps a lot.

As for the wiring everything is plug and play pretty much other than the Micro2 jumper for the higher powered DRL's. If you do the amber mod than it gets a little more hairy but you can set everything up prior to installing the lights. Once that's done though everything is still plug and play. I was able to take out one of the extra jumper harnesses on the lights since I did the amber DRL mod which cleaned things up more.

In the pic, top red circle is the relay I added and bottom one is where an extra connector was that I removed since I was cutting into the wires already.

View attachment 144874

About to get mine modded up. Found a whole bunch of waterproof relays at home hah.

with the raptor set, did you change the 7443 bulb to led? also for the t10 bulb. did you stick the plug in? looks super long!

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to get mine modded up. Found a whole bunch of waterproof relays at home hah.

with the raptor set, did you change the 7443 bulb to led? also for the t10 bulb. did you stick the plug in? looks super long!

I didn't have an amber LED available to change out the 7443 bulb so I'm just leaving it till it burns out for now. As for that long ass one just shove it in there. You gotta mover around the white sheet thing in there a bit but it will go in.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't have an amber LED available to change out the 7443 bulb so I'm just leaving it till it burns out for now. As for that long ass one just shove it in there. You gotta mover around the white sheet thing in there a bit but it will go in.
are DRLs on all the time regardless of drive mode and headlight switch?

did you wire in the extra drl harness? Thanks!

Last edited:

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are DRLs on all the time regardless of drive mode and headlight switch?

did you wire in the extra drl harness? Thanks!

I did wire in the extra DRL Harness. I tapped Fuse #10 in the fuse box which is the rain sensor which I don't have. It makes the light bars brighter and doesn't dim them like the stock lights. They DRL's will act exactly like stock. So if you switch you lights off they will all be off. I usually just drive around with the running lights on for nothing but ambers on. If you leave it on auto the head lights will be on too. Only way around this I know of is to use FORSCAN to reprogram the ECU logic for what lights to have on.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did wire in the extra DRL Harness. I tapped Fuse #10 in the fuse box which is the rain sensor which I don't have. It makes the light bars brighter and doesn't dim them like the stock lights. They DRL's will act exactly like stock. So if you switch you lights off they will all be off. I usually just drive around with the running lights on for nothing but ambers on. If you leave it on auto the head lights will be on too. Only way around this I know of is to use FORSCAN to reprogram the ECU logic for what lights to have on.
Thanks for the info! I'm looking at the main headlight connector, it seems the DRL wire isnt connected. Might try to just wire into the missing DRL wire. I looked at my morimoto set, uses all 7 wires and no extra harnesses. The Alpharex uses 6 wires with the 7th pin/wire missing

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'm looking at the main headlight connector, it seems the DRL wire isnt connected. Might try to just wire into the missing DRL wire. I looked at my morimoto set, uses all 7 wires and no extra harnesses. The Alpharex uses 6 wires with the 7th pin/wire missing

It comes with a DRL module that you have to hook up and an extra line that you have to daisy chain from the passenger side to the drivers side. Should be the white wire but you have to tap into that anyway for the relay mod.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It comes with a DRL module that you have to hook up and an extra line that you have to daisy chain from the passenger side to the drivers side. Should be the white wire but you have to tap into that anyway for the relay mod.
trying to wire this up without the drl module. the morimotos for the raptor dont require any fuse tapping to work. Trying to get this setup the same way as the morimotos i have installed

Kurator

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like both but like the Morimoto better. We've tested both and the AlphaRex used to have a cheaper price point, so they were VERY popular. However Morimoto changed pricing models and we've seen a lot more Morimoto sales over the Alpha.

In our shop tests the Alpha had a weird "boob" pattern, we call it. Nice and bright but was not as clean a cut-off compared to the Morimoto. Both very bright though.

Nice video though. I always enjoy people doing comparisons to see what is out there. Would like to see an unbiased video though (he's wearing an AlphaRex shirt, so yeah...)

But both are great options, especially with the prices being similar.

The one down side is, as he pointed out, he is stating the "light output is exactly the same

I will say they are comparing the AlphaRex with 3 low beams compared to the Morimoot with 2 low beams.

Morimotos do shine a bit farther still but the one thing that Alpha does better are the highs. The Morimoto highs are almost non-existant saddly.

BUT Morimoto still sell more. I guess because they've been around longer, have a cleaner look to them and better warranty.

We're seeing a bit more AlphaRex sales lately though on our site, which is good.

I have first gen Morimoto installed. Is it worth upgrading to 2nd gen?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score