All-New Ford F-150 Raptor Will Debut Feb. 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just noticed that newly designed heat exchanger in the hood which doesn't look to appealing to me.

Going to be sticking with my 2019.

I'm not crazy about it, but reserve judgement till I see in person and give it a little more time. I bet we see aftermarket mods for this in a year or so though.

rosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if the "R" in Raptor R stands for Rechargeable ?
Maybe a 1000hp all electric drive.

It stands for ranger ;) lol
Just noticed that newly designed heat exchanger in the hood which doesn't look to appealing to me.

Going to be sticking with my 2019.

that would be my one beef with the exterior looks, otherwise i like it.

Ocotillo Boy

Reaction score
I was #1 on the list with my Ford dealer. I canceled after finding out no V8 and no super cab. I will keep my Gen 2 leadfoot super cab as previously planned!

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what any of us think, I bet Ford sells these as fast as they can build them for two years.
Of course they will. People pissed and moaned for years about Gen 2 being v6 only and ford couldn’t build them fast enough. On top of all the people who paid over sticker.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No more supercab ****** me off, was still hoping for it to continue. The hood heat extractor does not have much style to it, that's for sure. Love my 17's . The tailgate lettering looks so so also, like 17's better. Overall I like the truck, but will be keeping my 17 for sometime.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The sides of it look flat with little to no flare, the front looks hideous.

I bashed a little bit on the gen 2 for not having a v8 but this thing besides the tech it offers is a complete designers nightmare. I imagine Ford engineers spent hours trying to figure out the proportions to make it not look like a rolling box on wheels.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will have to see it in person. Not sold on the aesthetic (in pics at least), really like the idea of +1" travel (for 35s) or same travel with 37s, really like the idea of further advanced live valve, don't care for 98% of other increased 'tech'. I already left foot brake, have zero use for shit that helps me post an IG status while driving, have zero use for the >= '19 trail cruise control, etc.

Interested to see whether or not they get +50hp or so out of the V6 and how the phasers behave. Like the idea of trailing arms + coils, but disappointed they didn't do a watts link, esp given the travel. I know many will like and will buy the R variant, but without another $75k in supporting driveline and not very streetable suspension (>= proper mid travel with 4.5" shocks in the back, dual shocks up front, cage, etc.), 700hp will only be useful during SBUX runs.

The orange color could be cool as hell in person & matches my MTB.

Keeping an open mind until see them in person and I drive one in anger, then will make decision on Gen3 V6 upgrade. Currently leaning toward keeping and modding my '18 for an extended time.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads on this, but this seems like the main one...

I was disappointed at no V8 or Powerboost, but either one of those would increase weight substantially. Also, not sure why US manufacturers are obsessed with SC as opposed to Turbo. I understand you'll have issues under certain conditions off-road or towing, but you'll get great fuel economy (comparatively) and loads of tunable power. I'm guessing that Ford is going to just tune up the engine and try to get 0-60 down to compete with TRX.

Last note, I got in a friend's new Ram Truck last year...holy crap was it nice inside. Everything was solid materials with soft leather, comfy seats, and tech. The quality and luxury was on par with top end European vehicles, or close anyway. Then I got back in my Ford and was disappointed. The new F150 hasn't changed a whole lot as far as quality goes. On the other hand, with the Ram's better materials comes expense, weight, and wear so I understand it a bit.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think turbocharging takes a lot more engineering to get right. That costs time and money. So if you want quick and cheap, you supercharge.

If you look back 30-40 years ago (so I hear, wasn't alive then) superchargers were the preferred choice for tuners, since it was pretty easy to slap on, and they have a nice linear power curve. Turbos, on the other hand, were complicated to get right, and either gave you a bit of boost early on or a ton late cycle.

From the efficiency standpoint, turbos are always the best choice, and superchargers are the worst. In order of efficiency (all other factors equal) Turbo > NA > Supercharger. It may seem strange, because the SC gives you more power, but it is a parasitic draw on the engine, thus making it less efficient. Turbos, meanwhile, use lost energy in the form of exhaust heat/gas, and thus make the engine more efficient.

The reason Ford Ecoboosts are so good is that the engineering is to the point where you get better torque/power curves with them than you do some NA engines. The twin turbos provide power through the full range of RPMs, and it is steady and predictable. All the difficulty making them work (and work well) is done at the factory by engineers who specialize in the field.

That's why Ford is the leader in truck sales. Meanwhile, Rthe SRT team only knows how to take a big V8 and stick a supercharger on it, something most rednecks were able to do 30 years ago.