Alignment Questions And Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have some alignment questions/theories that I would like some opinions on, please see below:

First I wanted to discuss a specific scenario of carrying gear in the bed of the truck and the changes to the alignment.

As we add weight to the bed of the truck, the suspension in the rear will compress. As this weight is added to the bed of the truck the center of mass will shift rearward and likely the front suspension will relax/extend some.

As the truck rotates due to weight, I imagine that the caster will change. My limited research tells me this will have limited impact on tires wear.

As the front suspension relaxes, the tie rods will pull upward/inward. Since the tie rods are located on the front of the spindle this should cause the truck to toe in.

Also as the front suspension stretches I imagine that the top of the tire will begin to lean inward changing the camber.

Second scenario would be to simply change the leaf springs to ones that will have the rear of the truck setting higher.

In this case would only the caster change since we have not really added any weight?

Last question:

What have you done in regards to your alignment and gear in the bed?

Had the alignment done with your gear in the bed, without, or a portion of the gear to split the difference(such as bed rack with no gear)?

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I completely agree with the above. My issue is really deciding how I will drive it most of the time.

Typical week may be 30-60 miles but a typical run might be 8 times that. As of right now I plan to do approximately 6 runs per year. Then we take the truck on a vacation loaded down. I’m thinking it may be wise to keep some weight in it for the alignment now that I say (type) it out loud.

Any thoughts on leaf springs with more arch changing caster only?

Ben Lucas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More rear lift won’t change anything cause your Not adding weight to front. Have you considered doing a air bag setup. They make some that are quick release,use it when you need it. I pull my 26ft camper and have had no noticeable effects on tire wear in front.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gear I am carrying would be for off-road trips so air bags wouldn’t work.

The main thing I am concerned with is that I am getting ready to do a slot delete kit and no one local (that I have found) will do the alignment so I will have to travel to get one.

Basically if/when I install new leaf springs I would have to travel to get the alignment adjusted. Assuming the new leafs have an effect on alignment settings.

Ben Lucas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be worried about alignment when off-road cause airing down tires will change it anyways. Plus tires wear on dirt isn’t a big issue.
On road miles is where it counts

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some alignment questions/theories that I would like some opinions on, please see below:

First I wanted to discuss a specific scenario of carrying gear in the bed of the truck and the changes to the alignment.

As we add weight to the bed of the truck, the suspension in the rear will compress. As this weight is added to the bed of the truck the center of mass will shift rearward and likely the front suspension will relax/extend some.

As the truck rotates due to weight, I imagine that the caster will change. My limited research tells me this will have limited impact on tires wear.

As the front suspension relaxes, the tie rods will pull upward/inward. Since the tie rods are located on the front of the spindle this should cause the truck to toe in.

Also as the front suspension stretches I imagine that the top of the tire will begin to lean inward changing the camber.

Second scenario would be to simply change the leaf springs to ones that will have the rear of the truck setting higher.

In this case would only the caster change since we have not really added any weight?

Last question:

What have you done in regards to your alignment and gear in the bed?

Had the alignment done with your gear in the bed, without, or a portion of the gear to split the difference(such as bed rack with no gear)?

Thanks

Regularly carry 200ish pounds in the bed. Truck always wants to pull right. Had it aligned twice with all the stuff in it.

Chalk it up to the crown on the roads? Truck was in a right front accident before I got it but local racing/off-road mechanic cleared it before purchase.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be worried about alignment when off-road cause airing down tires will change it anyways. Plus tires wear on dirt isn’t a big issue.
On road miles is where it counts

I agree, and this my issue with more frequent but shorter distance trips (weekly drives 30-60 miles) versus infrequent but longer trips (driving for an off-road trip 300+ miles each way). I am not worried about the alignment once off-road, even less so once I get the slot delete installed. I am more concerned with if I get the alignment done with the truck unloaded but end up driving more miles with the truck loaded. At this point I have decided to keep the tools and what not in the bed full time. Also I am inquisitive about if driving 300 miles to with new leaf springs(that I will install) that provide lift that may negatively affect alignment and tire wear since I will likely use the same alignment guy who is of decent distance from me.

Regularly carry 200ish pounds in the bed. Truck always wants to pull right. Had it aligned twice with all the stuff in it.

Chalk it up to the crown on the roads? Truck was in a right front accident before I got it but local racing/off-road mechanic cleared it before purchase.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

I had the truck aligned after the Geiser install and then had added 70+lbs from the bump stops, 10/15 lbs from air compressor, and 200ish lbs from tools and gear.

I could see that transferring COG would affect steering sensitivity but the in your case I would think it would reduce it. Either way I think this is a somewhat more advanced topic that is often simplified.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jakenbake, post: Either way I think this is a somewhat more advanced topic that is often simplified.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more. The slight pull to the right after multiple alignments is driving me crazy.

Is it the weight in the back; the front end accident - a frame issue; tire defect/wear/balance; road crown; leaking shock?

Too many variables at once.

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jakenbake, post: Either way I think this is a somewhat more advanced topic that is often simplified.

Couldn’t agree more. The slight pull to the right after multiple alignments is driving me crazy.

Is it the weight in the back; the front end accident - a frame issue; tire defect/wear/balance; road crown; leaking shock?

Too many variables at once.[/QUOTE]

Have you looked into if your steering knuckle is bent or if a LCA pocket is bent?

I know that I have read on here that some have had alignment issues that they eventually noticed were a bent knuckle.

I have not really looked for or found anything formation on how the alignment is set on our trucks, but thinking it through I have arrived on a few conclusions.

Our upper control arms offer no adjustment. The LCA’s have and inboard/outboard adjustment. This would allow camber adjustment as well as castor if one pocket was adjusted independently of the other. A bent knuckle would throw a wrench in that.

If caster is adjusted otherwise all bets are off.