alcoolaid's 2017 Raptor - Weekend Warrior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have X3s in 35 on GEN1 beadlocks and I love them when I need them, but they are heavy. Surprisingly quiet for what they are. I'd say stick to the 35s, unless you are ready to do the legwork to have 37s on have it more than just "well they fit when the wheels are straight and I'm on road".

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you happy with how the KB Voodoo rack works with your tonneau cover? I have been looking very closely at this set up but I am concerned that the brackets that slide under the cover are a weak spot and susceptible to bending or breaking with heavy loads. Thank you for posting this build thread. I will continue to follow it with interest.

For what it's worth, I had a KB Voodoo myself (exact same rack) and it worked flawlessly for a few thousand miles including a couple hundred of dirt/gravel/rock. I eventually ditched it because I need the space that a cap provides but I would totally go with KB Voodoo if I ever went back that way.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock tires on the left at 50%. General Grabber X3 35x12.5R17. Stick with 35's or go a size up to the 37? Actual listed size on the 35" x3's is 35" and 36.8" on the 37's.

Are you not worried about snow being up in Vancouver? I'm assuming those X3's aren't the best for that type of things but maybe I'm wrong ...

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you not worried about snow being up in Vancouver? I'm assuming those X3's aren't the best for that type of things but maybe I'm wrong ...

X3s are pretty great in snow all things considered. I went through my unplowed neighborhood with 6 to 8 inches of snow no problem.

6dccFgP.jpg

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3s are pretty great in snow all things considered. I went through my unplowed neighborhood with 6 to 8 inches of snow no problem.

Interesting. I'm not saying that KO2's are good, but are they better in snow than the KO2's? I originally came into KO2's after ditching a set of Nittos that was HORRIBLE in snow. The KO2's were better but still not great. I've been thinking about going to Duratracs but curious what else is out there.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not saying that KO2's are good, but are they better in snow than the KO2's? I originally came into KO2's after ditching a set of Nittos that was HORRIBLE in snow. The KO2's were better but still not great. I've been thinking about going to Duratracs but curious what else is out there.

I've heard nothing but good things about Duratracs in snow, and they have holes in them for studs from the factory. I love KO2s. I had the original KOs on the Raptor and those handled snow as good as I felt they should in snow. They were also pretty good in the sand. I have KO2s on my Jeep and I think they are great for the 90/10 street to dirt ratio they see.

I know a lot of people like the Nitto and Toyo, but I've heard a lot of bad things too.

OP
OP
alcoolaid

alcoolaid

Reaction score
Love this thread as I'm saving for a real nice off road camper but they are pricey. The one I like is around $43,000.

I'd be able to take longer trips because I'd be able to haul a lot more stuff. But downside would be having to turn around and cost.

So I've been contemplating going this route as an alternative which I'm guessing when all said and done would be approximately $15,000.00

Thanks for taking your time to post pictures.

Following!

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I thought about a trailer too but the trails up here in BC are super narrow and I would hate having to back up a trailer. It really depends what you want to do. I like exploring so I don't really stay in one spot for a long time. A friend of mine with his raptor likes to hunt so he sets up his base camp with his trailer and his truck is free to go anywhere he wants without lugging all his gear around. Only thing is, while he's gone, I hope no one will ever steal his trailer haha.

I have X3s in 35 on GEN1 beadlocks and I love them when I need them, but they are heavy. Surprisingly quiet for what they are. I'd say stick to the 35s, unless you are ready to do the legwork to have 37s on have it more than just "well they fit when the wheels are straight and I'm on road".

Yeah they are 77 lbs I think. A good 10lb+ on the stock k02's. I decided to stick with the 35's and see how they go.

I won't lie it crossed my mind. I thought about load range E K02's but I think they wear out too fast and a buddy of mine said they suck in the rain. I wanted a more aggressive tire for when I'm in Moab so I decided with X3 or KM3. I then watched a video where a tire guy said X3 had more siping on the tire blocks which is better for wet/snow. Also there are some good videos of guys running X3's in the snow and praise them. I tend to drive very carefully in bad weather conditions so I hope these X3's will be good enough!

Another buddy of mine has Duratracs and those tires are very good in the snow. Once we all go camping this winter in the mountains I'll let you know who gets stuck first :) k02, duratrac, or X3 :)

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in North western Montana, recently picked up a custom ordered 2019 802a magnetic decals/tailgate appliqué delete SCrew - winter tires are studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2s - they have served me well on my previous F150s (A lot of ice in the winter here) - we’ll see how well they do this winter on my new Raptor.

3C582EAC-4B43-4DBA-A331-8A042D429427.jpeg

4B07287E-080A-4F06-8AFF-54F17B4858F2.jpeg

OP
OP
alcoolaid

alcoolaid

Reaction score
I live in North western Montana, recently picked up a custom ordered 2019 802a magnetic decals/tailgate appliqué delete SCrew - winter tires are studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2s - they have served me well on my previous F150s (A lot of ice in the winter here) - we’ll see how well they do this winter on my new Raptor.

View attachment 130516

View attachment 130517

Wow. You’re going to be tearing up the trails like a world rally car haha

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, I really like the rack you have for your RTT. I have a Leitner Designs one that works well for what I usually carry (kayaks and surfboards) which are longer than the bed, so being able to have the bars above the level of the cab is great, but if I only used the rack for a RTT I'd probably have got one like yours that has a lower center of gravity.