Alcon issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Alcon’s on my 2018. Installed them myself. Brakes work like a champ and it is the best insurance you can buy to stop this beast on the highway. Mine do squeak a little at very slow speeds sometimes and the brake pad dust will cover your wheels in one week but that’s the price I’m willing to pay for the extra stopping power.

One thing to check is there are some brake caliper shins that need to be installed to center the brake calipers on the rotors. It’s not easy to take the measurements before or after placing the shims and it can be time consuming too.

Todd Turbo S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 19 I only did the front. Made a huge difference. Just today had a 18 wheeler lock up right in front of me, no problem stopping.
Can I ask you if there’s an squeaking? I really can’t understand why this manufacturers brakes squeak. I have cars that have Brembo and AMG big brakes and never has any squeaking issues.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can I ask you if there’s an squeaking? I really can’t understand why this manufacturers brakes squeak. I have cars that have Brembo and AMG big brakes and never has any squeaking issues.
I have never had a squeak. I did not need the tie rod adaptors, as my OEM ones cleared the rotor.

Since the OP said they squeaked even when the brakes weren’t applied, I thought it might be the ends.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I second the question “did you bed the breaks?” 30/30/30... 30 stops from 30 mph with 30 seconds in between. Not coming to a complete stop then let cool?

RADvelociRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm with most of the guys here... i wouldn't necessarily blame alcon yet. I own a performance shop and have used / installed them all (brembo, alcon, akebono, etc).

Performance pads will squeek / screech when cold, no way around it. But when warmed up, it shouldn't screech like hell though.... unless there is a mechanical / install issue underlying, the only culprit that we always end up noticing when dealing with an issue like yours usually lies on the bed in process after installing the brakes. 3 out of 4 times, a shop will install new pads and rotors, or even full caliper upgrades but completely miss or not perform the bed in process after installation.

if mechanically you are all set for sure... best i can say is have the rotors resurfaced lightly and slap on some new pads (or reuse the ones you have) and perform the bed in process accurately. this is where we end up usually. best of luck! don't give up on those brakes... they are completely badass and well worth the $$$

OP
OP
Dadlife

Dadlife

Reaction score
Don’t take one problem too much to heart. I’ve got 20,000 miles on my 19 with them and I love them. Big difference. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

OP could your tie rod be touching the rotor? Some trucks need adaptors. Did you bed the pads in?
Went SVC tie rods, which was recommended per Alcon. Pads have been bedded 2x and no change.
its at another shop now, were going to see about removing a bit of the pad material 1-2% to see if that helps.

OP
OP
Dadlife

Dadlife

Reaction score
Thank you. Im guessing an install issue but as noted above, Alcon has no direct customer support. So itd be alot easier to trouble shoot if so. The squeeking while driving is the main issue. I dont mind squeeking when braking, but driving theough parking lots everyone stares, and its not at my truck. Lol
i'm with most of the guys here... i wouldn't necessarily blame alcon yet. I own a performance shop and have used / installed them all (brembo, alcon, akebono, etc).

Performance pads will squeek / screech when cold, no way around it. But when warmed up, it shouldn't screech like hell though.... unless there is a mechanical / install issue underlying, the only culprit that we always end up noticing when dealing with an issue like yours usually lies on the bed in process after installing the brakes. 3 out of 4 times, a shop will install new pads and rotors, or even full caliper upgrades but completely miss or not perform the bed in process after installation.

if mechanically you are all set for sure... best i can say is have the rotors resurfaced lightly and slap on some new pads (or reuse the ones you have) and perform the bed in process accurately. this is where we end up usually. best of luck! don't give up on those brakes... they are completely badass and well worth the $$$

RADvelociRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Im guessing an install issue but as noted above, Alcon has no direct customer support. So itd be alot easier to trouble shoot if so. The squeeking while driving is the main issue. I dont mind squeeking when braking, but driving theough parking lots everyone stares, and its not at my truck. Lol

Oh man. I misread it then! If it’s squeezing while driving / off the brakes then yes purely mechanical!

unfortunately, Alcon does rely on their dealers for end client support. They normally are picky with who they align themselves with... hopefully SVC will get it sorted.

was there any gouges or irregular wear pattern on the rotors? That happens once to us with actually Alcons on a 1000hp GTR lol. A pebble got caught between pad and rotor and gouged it ever so slightly. Squeals when he was moving.