Alcon Brake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually rotors do warp, if not manufacturers could save tons of money on testing and development.
Correct for stock brakes.

Aftermarket brake discs like AP, Alcon, Brembo etc. normally do not warp, but have issue's with (wrong) brake pads or bedding in. People buy performance brakes, but do not use them as performance brakes. The brake will not get to specified operation temperatures and it will cause issue's.

This is more likely what happend, as someone above says the rear brakes are "warped". The vehicle is light at the back and the brake load is too light.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What is the warranty on the Alcon kit. I was very interested in acquiring a set , but after reading some reviews above - not so sure now.
Somebody had a warped Alcon rotor after only 4200 miles. And Alcon failed to address the issue it seems.
I see that R1 dealers jumped on the opportunity to make some sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The warranty on Alcon is 12 months against any manufacturer’s defects.

I cannot speak to the situation above on the alleged warped rotor. There could have been debris that got trapped between the rotor and pad that caused damage. There also could have been issues caused with improper bedding as @nikhsub1 mentioned in his post above. Or there could have been a manufacturing defect or some other cause. It may not have been the brake rotor at all. A bent axle shaft or hub could cause similar driving characteristics to a warped rotor. I don’t know enough about this particular situation to speak to it.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They need to update their website then, it still show it as a requirement.

I'm assuming they changed the rotor offset and caliper bracket to fix the clearance issue?

Wonder if they just went overboard pushing the rotor face inward to clear wheels on the original design.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny I emailed a question about master cylinder to Alcon before I bought my R1 BBK and they told me to ask someone else[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
They need to update their website then, it still show it as a requirement.

I'm assuming they changed the rotor offset and caliper bracket to fix the clearance issue?

Wonder if they just went overboard pushing the rotor face inward to clear wheels on the original design.

I'd like to know this too. The alcon kits don't fit without spindle modification on some aftermarket mid-travel spindles. I, for one, am not crazy about the idea of having to modify spindles into one-offs so the brakes fit.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I want to clear up something that may be the cause of some confusion.

AlconKits is not Alcon. AlconKits is a dba for a company named MotoDelta LLC. They’re merely a dealer for Alcon, not the manufacturer.

Alcon, the manufacturer, is a UK based firm. You can find their site at www.alcon.co.uk

Additionally, when you are referring to spindle/steering knuckle modification, what exactly are you referring to?

To install the ADD aftermarket tie rod or tie rod adapters, you do have modify the existing steering knuckle, but you only have to ream out the hole where the tie rod mounts so that the new tie rod will fit. But again, this is no longer required.

@zombiekiller, I know you’re having a significant amount of work done on your truck. So I’m curious as to what all needs to be modified on your aftermarket knuckles.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I want to clear up something that may be the cause of some confusion.

AlconKits is not Alcon. AlconKits is a dba for a company named MotoDelta LLC. They’re merely a dealer for Alcon, not the manufacturer.

Alcon, the manufacturer, is a UK based firm. You can find their site at www.alcon.co.uk

Additionally, when you are referring to spindle/steering knuckle modification, what exactly are you referring to?

To install the ADD aftermarket tie rod or tie rod adapters, you do have modify the existing steering knuckle, but you only have to ream out the hole where the tie rod mounts so that the new tie rod will fit. But again, this is no longer required.

@zombiekiller, I know you’re having a significant amount of work done on your truck. So I’m curious as to what all needs to be modified on your aftermarket knuckles.

Slide the alcon rotor onto the lugs in the front and "clunk". the rotor would rub on the upright. Almost like the combination of the depth from rotor hat to the inside of disc coupled with a thicker rotor is enough to create interference.

I just really don't want to have to buy a rotor from alcon, r1, etc just to measure the dimensions against a stock rotor and check fitment so I know which one will work ( if any) without modification.

It is spendy enough to buy spares for a mid-travel kit. I don't want to buy spares, then have to modify everything. I'm also trying to maintain some semblance of parts availability.