AIRRAID Installation on 2011 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Viper, How'd it go on the installation?

Yep, as you said a one beer job... Took about 25 min, so 3-4 if I was watching someone else do it. Hell, my 7 yr old could have done it with direction...

I have not yet installed the second snorkel. I planned on playing around first before comitting a hole saw to the box. So to be absolutely not scientific, I do the following I rate my perceptions of aggressive "hole shot", 20-60 mph, and 40-80 mph with stock intake, Airraid fully boxed in (both strips and tape), and Airraid as intended (one strip). (BTW aggressive = a floored pedal)

Having just finished "horsing" around here's my take:

Sound: Friggin love it, holy crap! Get a little subtle "honk" from first to second. Really nothing more than a "hello, im waiting!!!" At gradual starts and gains, i'd never know it was there. Stock exhaust dominates. However, once I got agressive, holy shit the engine literally roars in response...:drool:

Stock vs Fully boxed in was a near wash... better sound with airraid but accleration nearly identical, but with a "restricted" airraid a second hesitation showed up at 1500rpm. Subtle but present...:shitsweak:

The intended setup had no hesitation, at speed or on a line, and screamed as as a banshee all the way through. The hands down go to set up!!!:peace:

Now here's the rub... A standard install vs a second snorkel? is 1 1/4 pipe enough... should it be bigger? or is the presumed cooler out of engine compartment air cool enough? how bout soco's? ram idea... Also just how likely is the factory install to find water? I pressure washed the shit out of her before popping the hood and not a drop in the compartment...

How bout some people smarter than me weigh in...
Ruger, thx for the post!! I'm a happy camper!!!

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger...

SERIOUSLY, A happy camper... I'm grinning now about driving to work tomorrow...

Viper

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeeee-hawwwww! Yes sir, the first thing I noticed were the intake honks at the shift points. Most pronounced between 1st and 2nd, but it's there for the others as well. When you pass someone now, geeze you can sure pass with authority!

I was leary of soco's ram air idea because of wind-driven rainfall wetting down the filter and ruining it. Positioning the forward end of the hose just behind the lower edge of the rubber shield achieves nearly similar effect while eliminating the risk of getting the filter wet.

The other reason I put weatherstrip on all four sides of the airbox was because I wanted only cool air to enter the engine. With the airbox open on two sides like that, it just didn't seem like a cold air intake to me. I didn't notice any hesitation with the weatherstrip on all four sides before I installed the additional air intake tube. Since the ID of the factory snorkel is larger than the ID at the air flow sensor, I don't think that the real restriction can be on the upstream side of the filter.

As for the size of the additional intake hose, I tried a 1.5 inch diameter and it will not squeeze between the radiator and the headlight housing. I tried and I tried. So I swapped it for a 1.25 inch hose (which cost $2 more - go figure!), and it'll barely fit. With it and with the weatherstrip on all four sides I don't get any hesitation anywere.

Congrats on your "new" truck, Viper!

Last edited:

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:waytogo:Yesss Sirrrr!!! A new truck she is.... I'm still gonna play 'round with her though...

Love it!!!:waytogo:

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger: Did you get your pre filter yet ?
I was looking at doing a similar mod such as the snorkal you added, gonna mess with it this weekend. I think if I go with the 1.25 pipe I am going to fab a plug for it and I may drill some drain holes in the bottom of the air box.
Reason is if running any trails with large water it is not uncommon to take green water over the hood. In these instances I would like to plug the snorkel and put the pre filter on .
If any hesitation occurs make sure to put truck in sport mode or turn that electronic nanny all the way off, caution to anyone who has not done this yet. As an example : I was spinning both back tires flooring it at 20 mph merging onto a road. If you put in sport mode it will still baby sit you some times and this can be felt as a hesitation depending on the
situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No sir, Deadeye, the prefilter hasn't arrived.

That's some good thinking you've got going there. I'd advise a conservative approach to the drain holes in the airbox, as they could also be an avenue for water intrusion in some instances.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The AIRAID prefilter (PN 799-478) arrived today. It's a perfect fit, guys. It'll fit the 720-478 filter in the 400-272 kit and the 721-478 filter in the 401-272 kit, as the two filters have identical dimensions. Installation is a snap, as the opening of the prefilter has elastic. All you need to do is take off your filter, align the oval shape of the end of the prefilter with that of the filter, slide the prefilter over the filter, make sure the prefilter competely covers the filter, and reistall the filter. It's done before you can say, "Honey, go get me another cheap beer."

The package says, "More than doubles cleaning intervals, water repellant, filters to .005", free flowing protection. AIRAID Pre-Filters are manufactured from durable water repellant polyester material. This unique free-flowing material has uniform openings that filter out debris .005" and larger. Dyno and flow bench tests show that there is no significant loss in power or airflow using this product. Designed to be run dry and can be cleaned with AIRAID Filter Cleaner." In other literature AIRAID offers that the non-oiled SynthaMax filters can be cleaned with Simple Green and Formula 409.

There you have it.

Last edited:

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger...

Let us know your thoughts after horsing around with the pre-filter on vs not... Good to know on the fit...

Viper