AIRRAID Installation on 2011 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone have a problem with the new box not lining up with the old existing air box. There is a gap about a 1/2" wide under the intake hose where the old and new box should come together. Everywhere else the box fits together great. Also, the plastic clips are now too long to engage the new metal box. It's like it's not setting up high enough. The Airraid model says it's for the 2013, which is my year, so that can't be the problem.

Yep, I had a similar problem with mine. I finally figured out the gap is normal. There were also some loose clips, but it think I adjusted the box a little. Might have adjusted the tube connections a little which put upward pressure on the top section and removed the slack on the clips.

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that makes me feel better. I ended up using about 3 pieces of sticky weather stripping layered to fill the gap and take up the slack on that one side. I wonder if Airaid screwed up the box? Anywho, the stripping fixed the problem and some duct tape along the inside of the box where the two come together helped seal it.

Wow, what a diff it makes it sound when u drop the hammer. Anxious to see if my mileage goes up. No air intake codes this far. Thanks

maximus5403

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed the Airaid this weekend along with my Corsa exhaust. I like the sound of the Airaid, but it may get a little annoying after a while in city driving. I did the duct tape on the inside of the box, and weather stripping on all 4 sides. I'll give it a few months to see how it goes.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What sound is annoying? Just from the Airaid CAI install or the CAI and a new exhaust? I never noticed an annoying sound after my Airaid.

Now my MBRP turn down exhaust is extremely annoying, but this weekend I installed Dynamat on the cab behind the rear seats. Made a big difference. Next weekend I'm doing the doors.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind a little "intake honk." I gutted the intake on my Buell to make it flow better, and the honk when you abruptly crack the throttle is merely useful feedback. Same with the Raptor, but as I have indicated previously a lot of the honk from the Airaid can be mitigated by installing the edge gasket around all four sides of the air box.

From a practical side, gentlemen, is there anyone here who bought a fire breathing off-road super truck with a 6.2L V8 monster under the hood and expected it be as quiet as a Prius? Who the hell would want a truck like that? It'd be like a flat-chested Raquel Welch!

maximus5403

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed my pre-filter, and I may just be imagining it but it seemed to quiet it down just a tad and feels smoother. Could just be my imagination though...

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I'm a little poorer and I don't even have my truck yet. I purchased a Livernois/Airaid intake(pn:400-272) from the garage sale section of this forum. Since I saved quite a bit on the initial purchase I went ahead and ordered a prefilter(pn:799-478) and Synthamax replacement filter(pn:721-478) from autoanything.com at a reasonable price. I will test to see if there is any difference between a synthaflow and synthamax filter once I get my Raptor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The clean and dirty flow characteristics of the Synthamax and Synthaflow filters are available at the AIRAID web site. Dirty or clean, both flow more than the 6.2L needs.