AIRRAID Installation on 2011 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what mine looked like after TRR, so I want to ensure that an aftermarket CAI would stay fairly clean.

Attachments

• P4164819.jpg
    P4164819.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 99

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what mine looked like after TRR, so I want to ensure that an aftermarket CAI would stay fairly clean.

Exactly what I saw when I opened mine. The factory filter sits down in the box and close to the air intake. It seems more likely to get wet or dirty. The Airaid filter sits much higher. I would also think the closed box causes more suction at the air intake, pulling in the water. The open box design gets air from the top and the bottom, which should mean less suction where the water tends to enter the box.

Adding the pre-filter adds even more protection.

My last serious mudding trip left my engine filthy and lots of mud stains on the underside of the hood. The filter and air intake didn't get any of that muddy water. The rubber seal on the back edge of the box (comes with the Airaid filter) seems to have protected the filter from the mud.

This is just MY experience.

arturom_1987

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all, I purchased the Airaid kit and it drones very badly, I can here the motor inside the cab. Th sound level is a complere night and day difference, I do not have an exhaust all oem stock but now it sounds like it has flowmasters inside the cab. Do you guys have a fix for that or do you think making a lid will resolve this problem?

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats the nature of these beasts. Bdrag sold his for this reason, me, i LOVED it, till i installed my Roush cat-back, and that drowns it out now. I dunno that i would call it a drone, its definatly much louder than stock when accelerating, but cruising was no different. a lid will fix it tho, i dont think anyone makes one for the Airaid, (5star was working on one, i dont know if it came to fruition tho) so if its intolerable to you, might wanna move to a Volant or AFE with a lid.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
putting a lid on it makes no sence to me. a cai is desined to put as much air as posable in. put a lid on restriction I would like a pre filter but that would be about it.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the Airraid last night. After stumbling alittle on the first start up and the shifting being alittle 'off' for the first 10 or so miles, she seemed to be running fine.

Fast forward one day later and the CEL lights up on my lunch... I checked the connections, clamps, etc when I got back to work.. everything was fine and as far as I know the MAF only fits in one direction, so that should be fine. I'm stumped as to what it could be.. any ideas?

I'm at work and working late tonight, so short of disconnecting the battery for awhile, there isn't much I can do.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a question for all, I purchased the Airaid kit and it drones very badly, I can here the motor inside the cab. Th sound level is a complere night and day difference, I do not have an exhaust all oem stock but now it sounds like it has flowmasters inside the cab. Do you guys have a fix for that or do you think making a lid will resolve this problem?

Mine does not drone at all. When I'm on the gas hard I can hear the shift points, but that's it. I have the factory exhaust, too, so I have what you have. With one difference: I installed the rubber edge gasket on all four sides of the top of the airbox extension. I recommend that you do that. The kit comes with edge gasket material for the Raptor and for the Harley-Davidson models. Put the edge gasket for the Raptor on the two sides they tell you to, and put the edge gasket for the H-D models on the other two sides. If the H-D gasket is too short, call Airaid and ask them to send you more. They will - for free. They did so for me.

69Mach1, these trucks learn fast. I did not disconnect my battery after I installed the Airaid, and it didn't exhibit any problems when first driven or at any time thereafter. You might do a battery disconnect - that returns the ECM to factory no-learning-done settings and see if that clears it up. Failing that, call Airaid. My experience with their Customer Service people is the best I have ever experienced. Microsoft should take lessons from Airaid!

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

putting a lid on it makes no sence to me. a cai is desined to put as much air as posable in. put a lid on restriction I would like a pre filter but that would be about it.

Not so, friend Wilson. The snorkel flows more air than the intake tube because it is of larger ID than the tube at the airflow sensor. Put a lid on it, and it'll make no difference. ALL of the air has to pass through the tube, and the ID at the sensor is the limiting factor of the system.

Be advised that if you monkey with the ID of the tube at the airflow sensor, you will be making unknown/uncontrolled changes to the fuel/air ratio. Open up that tube and your vehicle will run lean unless you have a very, very good tuner do a complete remap specifically for your setup. This is a very good example of "it is what it is."

Last edited:

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Certainly no droning here! I've had mine installed for a year. I do have the rubber gaskets installed to "help" guard from water intrusion. Plus I run a pre-filter.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck. CEL came back on shortly after the battery disconnect. She was running great too..

I had to drive 4hrs to Altona and 4hrs back tomorrow, so I didnt want to chance it and just took it off.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Battery must be disconnected a minimum of 45 minutes for computer to reset to factory settings. If you just disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected it again, you haven't rest the system. You might want to disconnect the battery overnight.

If the error code persists, I would bet that you have an air leak in the system somewhere. If so then your engine is going to run too lean, and that's bad. I am willing to bet that your leak, if you have one, is around the airflow sensor.