Air Lift rear kit installed for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, That'll gave me a very good idea how they works. I think I'll go with the air bag system for I don't do hard off roading and don't carry a lot of weight in the truck 80% of the time. Air bags will be the cheaper/easier option for my use.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can or does anyone know what the difference between the wireless air and the wireless one air compressor ?

slingshot60

Reaction score
Thanks, That'll gave me a very good idea how they works. I think I'll go with the air bag system for I don't do hard off roading and don't carry a lot of weight in the truck 80% of the time. Air bags will be the cheaper/easier option for my use.
Ditto. I'm doing the same thing...

jakeO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I going to do this in the next few weeks. Pulling a 6k boat is rough. I have the sumo bump stops but the ride is not great.

cornfedwhitey

Reaction score
Did you happen to notice any increase in rear ride height post bag installation? I had a pair on my old ecoboost and I swear it raised the rear 1/2" . About to buy a set for the raptor and wondering if it was a one off thing or will installing them add a little in the rear?

OP
OP
WARP6

WARP6

Reaction score
Alright folks, it's been a while since I installed the kit. First I'll answer a couple questions then I'll give my impressions then I'll tell you about some changes I made.
You must keep the lower bracket when installing the Daystar cradles. The bags need a place to sit and that's where you attach the cradle.
After installing the bags, there may have been a slight increase in rear height but it wasn't noticeable and I never measured

Here are my thoughts on this system. For towing, dang what an improvement! I've pulled a 21' enclosed landscaping trailer with a Walker mower, a 48" walk-behind mower, a 60" Cub Cadet 900 series ride on mower (huge!) 3 backpack blowers, 3 string trimmers, 3 pruners, spare tires, fuel jugs etc. It squatted the truck. With the bags pressured, they leveled the truck right up. I would estimate it was at max towing capacity. This test proved the bags were worth it, to me anyway.
With no trailer and during normal driving, the suspension felt unbalanced. The rear was stiffer than the front. When crossing bridges on the highway at the transition point there is sometimes a dip. When I would hit those, the front would compress pretty far but the back not so much. Passengers didn't notice but I did and I didn't like it. Bags used in the original install were part #58496 and have internal jounce bumpers. More on this in a minute.
When jumping, sort of, the bags would limit the amount of rear-end drop because they were bolted to the bottom bag brackets. I've ridden on this setup all this time until yesterday, 4/23/22. This is where the Daystar cradles come in.

I ordered a pair of Daystar cradles - part #M20869 and a pair of Airlift bags part #58437 with NO internal jounce bumper.
I raised the rear of the truck and removed the original air bags that came in the kit. Those bags are part #58496. With the bags out, I drilled a hole in the bottom bracket. I started with a 1/8" bit, then a 1/4" then finally a 3/8". This is where the cradles attach. All in, this took me about an 1 1/2 hours.
Here's the pics

Attachments

• jounce bumper 1.jpg
    jounce bumper 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 34
  • jounce bumper 2.jpg
    jounce bumper 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 31
  • new bag 58437 without internal bumper(2).jpg
    new bag 58437 without internal bumper(2).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 32
  • lower bag braket with .375 hole(2).jpg
    lower bag braket with .375 hole(2).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 33
  • daystar M20869 cradle installed(2).jpg
    daystar M20869 cradle installed(2).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
OP
OP
WARP6

WARP6

Reaction score
Here the rear-end is at full drop, then shown with the truck sitting on the rear-end after it was put back on the ground at ride height.

After this change the truck feels much better and more balanced. I think the internal jounce bumpers on the original bags were limiting travel.
Obviously when jumping the rear is going to go full-drop as it should with the cradles installed. I haven't tested that part yet but, I'm really not worried about it. You just know it'll work properly

Attachments

• bags and cradles rear at full drop driver side (2).jpg
    bags and cradles rear at full drop driver side (2).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 35
  • bags and cradles rear at full drop pass side(2).jpg
    bags and cradles rear at full drop pass side(2).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 32
  • bags and cradles truck sitting on rearend driver side(2).jpg
    bags and cradles truck sitting on rearend driver side(2).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 31
  • bags and cradles truck sitting on rearend pass side(2).jpg
    bags and cradles truck sitting on rearend pass side(2).jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

FRC_Racing

Reaction score
Just a heads up if you are using the DayStar cradles and the Ultimate 5000 kit then you should lower (cut) the bottom mounts about 1".
Now with 5psi the bag will sit in the cradle at the proper height and the internal bumper will have the same travel as the factory one had.

Oh and make sure you mark the leaf springs and spacers so they go back exactly in the same place front to back.
If your steering wheel position is not perfectly centered after the install then you moved the thrust angle and will have to reposition the spring perch in relationship to the leaf spring.

Last edited: