Air Leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PitchforkR

Reaction score
Last night, I installed a Wagner IC and a Turbosmart BOV. No initial problems with the installs.

But, now I seem to have an air leak somewhere. I only notice it at idle, and it sounds almost like a slow moving compressor or something. It seems to be coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, maybe a bit down the fender well. I have checked the connections to the IC, checked the connections to the factory evap system and BOV.

When I went out and tested it all after the install, I have no ses light. I am making full boost on my Gearhead tune. It’s not boost leak, and i have no idea how i could have gotten into the exhaust.

Stumped. Any ideas?

Please listen:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoXKing

Reaction score
Mine makes a similar sound at idle but not as loud. I haven't done an aftermarket intake yet. (cant decide witch one) like your AFE!
I believe its your turbo smart (I have one as well) I think you can change the spring inside or dial it down buy turning the top.
I don't loose any boost and have a AFE scorcher. cant decide on a tuner either.
Probably not a help.....

OP
OP
P

PitchforkR

Reaction score
Mine makes a similar sound at idle but not as loud. I haven't done an aftermarket intake yet. (cant decide witch one) like your AFE!
I believe its your turbo smart (I have one as well) I think you can change the spring inside or dial it down buy turning the top.
I don't loose any boost and have a AFE scorcher. cant decide on a tuner either.
Probably not a help.....
Thanks for your reply, it’s definitely helpful. Someone else I spoke with had the same thought about it being the BOV. Do you just turn the nipple to tighten it, or do you have to turn the nut in the middle?

The sound is not as loud as it seems in that vid, I can’t hear it over the engine fan. I just buried my phone in there so that it would be as pronounced as possible to try and diagnose it.

I love my AFE! I need to put the lid on it at some point, but it sounds amazing open. Regarding tune, I went with Gearhead for my DD. It’s beautiful for my needs. I may use MPT for a drag strip only tune at some point, but I think Gearhead is perfect for a normal Starbucks drinking quasi gear-head like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoXKing

Reaction score
The large (black) mine is black top end with the rubber hose fitting is a knob for increase or decrease. Mine is all the way up. Think my air leak sound would be louder with the intake.
learning curve for me as well, used to the supercharger sound from my 6.2 Raptor.

sharkhunt

Reaction score
Turbosmart replied pretty quickly to my question about this. They cite that it is the purge valve cycling and nothing to worry about.

I am going to go back with some heavier walled hose and see if that helps. The sound at idle insn't terrible, but not great either. It may be more pronounced with mine than others.

18OxfordRap

Reaction score
I installed my Turbosmart BOV this weekend as well and have the same exact noise. I checked everything and couldn't find a leak in the newly installed hoses and pieces. Nice to hear that it's normal. Update if heavier walled hoses help dampen the sound!

Reaction score
I don’t care what Turbosmart says, that is in fact an air leak!!

I had same problem with my 2019 Raptor, so I took that ******** manifold they send you with the wrong plug! (Whole different problem) I replaced it with a plastic T from the auto parts store utilizing the factory connectors and some hose claps also used same hose Turbosmart sends... so their excuse that the hose isn’t up to the sound deadening quality’s as Ford OEM is ******** too lol

The actual BOV is great though, sounds cool

But the plumbing they send is garbage!

My 2 cents

-Zac V